Plant ID help?

  • Sam Schaperow
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2012
      Hello Everyone:

      I found this tree growing in a place that made me think it was planted there.  Beyond the pictures (attached and at foraging.posterous.com), I can add the fruit is mildly astringent while also a bit sweet.  The seeds are visible in a photo, too.

      Thank you!

      --
      Sam Schaperow, MSMFT, LMFT
      Clinical Director

    • Celia Browne
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2012

        I wish my dad was here, Sam, as he can identify most most mid-west to eastern-area trees by their leaves and of course, their fruit.  My inclination was to say crabapple as David Spahr had mentioned on Forage Ahead, but after reading Steve Brill's response, I think he may be right about it being a callery pear tree.  The leaves don't look right for an apple tree and the skin of the fruit is very pear-like.  Check out this link and see what you think:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrus_calleryana

        --Celia--