re: Sichaun Pepper

  • "Wildman" Steve Brill
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013
      Hi Sam,

      Did I say Sichuan pepper grows in Central Park? They're in Prospect Park, not Central Park, and they're very potent.

      The law the CT DEP is using for extortion of $625/tour is the same one that lets them charge for rock concerts in their parks. I'm not a legal expert, so I can't quote it to you.

      BTW, do you know any way I can use my normal email address, wildman@..., to send e-mails to this group? It gets rejected, and I have to remember to use an e-mail address I normally don't use.

      Hi Steve:

      I was very interested to learn from you that there are native versions of
      Sichuan peppercorns (native as
      *Zanthoxylum americanum)** *that you forage for on your tours of Central
      Park. How do they compare to the previously banned ones originating from
      China (note that according to my Sichuan Cookery book, a good source is
      necessary or they will lack potency)? Very similar flavor?

      BTW, you once said your tours in CT result in a hefty charge to you by the
      state. What is the statute the state follows that requires an absurdly
      high charge like that?

      Happy Foraging!

      "Wildman" Steve Brill
      America's Go-to Guy for Foraging
      320 Palmer Terrace, Apt. 2A
      Mamaroneck, NY, 10543
      (914) 835-2153

      http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com
      wildman@...
    • Sam Schaperow
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013
        On the park, probably my error.  TY for correcting me and stating the potency.  Have you compared the flavor, too?

        As to your email address, is this the case just w/this group, or all yahoo groups?

        --
        Sam Schaperow, MSMFT, LMFT
        Clinical Director