Poor man's Beano

  • Bill Neill
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 19, 2013
      Sitting in my car before a ball game I saw what looked like Epazote/Chenopodium ambrosioides growing along the chain link fence. I got out and indeed it was. It was good sized for this time of year since they are annuals and I yanked it up with a good root system intact and will put it in a pot when I get home. I had some growing in my yard last year but haven't seen any come up. I'll use some in bean dishes this Summer.
      Bill N

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Sam Schaperow
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 19, 2013
        Oh thanks Bill, that reminds me that since the seeds my wife bought didn't come up, I should plant the rest and maybe we'll get some this year.

        Yes, in Mexico it is a popular carminative, while in India the carminative of choice seems to be fennel seeds (note fennel candy is provided for free on the way out the door at some American Indian restaurants).  Here's a list of carminatives: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carminative

        --
        Sam Schaperow, MSMFT, LMFT
        Clinical Director
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 19, 2013
          I had some black tea epazote growing in my garden last year.  It died over winter, but I just went out and checked and sure enough it came back.  I did let it go to seed, so maybe it's actually a new plant.  Not sure what species but the little card that came with it says it's Chenopodium.  I never noticed whether or not it works like Beano because I didn't know it was used for that reason.  I'll have to check it out next time I make beans.