Intro. & Evening Primrose Root

  • Sam Schaperow
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2012
      My name is Sam and I've been foraging for many years.  Each year I add new plants to me plate, and this year I've been learning more about evening primrose roots.

      I've found that the raphides in it really affect me, at least w/the plants I've found.  But, it seems that they can be placed in a broth so the flavor is extracted w/o the above issue.  What are others' experiences of this?

      Sam
    • Lygeia
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2012
        Hi Sam.  I just started foraging in 2012 and am still learning the plants in my area of the High Desert in Southern California.  I became very familiar with lambs quarters this year because it grows wild all over my property.  I also have *desert* evening primrose all over my property but I did not think it was edible.  I uploaded two pics of it I took this past spring:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PlantForagers/photos/album/2082290086/pic/1881659043/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

        What are raphides?

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 28, 2012
          Hi Lygeia:

          I'm not sure of the edibility of desert e. p., but the ones I have have raphides, which are an irritant made of oxalic crystals.  In high concentrations they are very painful and can be a degree of danger, but in low concentrations they can be irritating to some or not noticed by others.

          --
          Sam Schaperow, MSMFT, LMFT
          Clinical Director