Re: [itfsd] Re: [PkOug] Networking Problem

  • Muhammad Ahmad
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2008
      Dear Max,
      I have persoanly found the solution the solution for this problem.
      i have implement the SP2 where there is no Service pack is installed.
      and if you computers have already SP2 then install the SP3.
      it will work.
      and other wise simply update your OS what ever it is
      it will start working properly.
      Muhammad Ahmad

      From: aarfie@yahoo. com
      Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 22:08:36 -0800
      Subject: [itfsd] Re: [PkOug] Networking Problem

      Dear Friends,

      I am facing serious problem in my LAN.

      Description as follow:

      I am using WIN 2003 server standard edition

      with Norton Antivirus 10.2 (Symantec) Corporate Edition

      updated up to 26-11-2008.

      I have shared folders on this machine.

      On client side I am using the OS Win XP and Win 2000.

      Our system services get stop automatically like services of

      1 – Workstation

      2 – Print Spooler

      The above mention services disable all the sharing on client side as well as on server side.

      Temporarily we are manually restarting these services to run the clients.

      Or some time it required resetting the system.

      It also disable my all software running for the oracle database as an application server.

      We even could not find any anti virus from the net.

      If you find any solution or have already for the relevant problem please inform me.

      Thanks and best regards,

      Muhammad Ahmad Karim

      Mu

      Color coding for safety: Windows Live Hotmail alerts you to suspicious email. Sign up today.

    • shoaib bhatti
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2008

        Please check the following......... I think it is beneficial for you.

        Workstation Service
        Service Name lanmanworkstation Process Name svchost.exe -k netsvcs
        Default Settings    XP Home   : Automatic    XP Pro   : Automatic
        Microsoft Service Description Creates and maintains client network connections to remote servers. If this service is stopped, these connections will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
        Dependencies
        Real World Description There are a number of items that can be impacted by disabling this service. I strongly recommend you read through Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-049 - Buffer Overrun in the Workstation Service Could Allow Code Execution (828749), especially the " Workarounds" section, and then decide if you want it enabled or disabled.
        Is this service needed?

           Possibly

        Recommended Setting:

        Automatic

        Note Updated to reflect SP2 changes.

        I received this note from Craig. It reflects many more that have been received about this service. I originally had this listed as  "Absolutely !" for being needed, but now I have changed it to "Possibly". Thanks for sending along the info, Craig.  --  Jim / TEG

        Hi. I just came across your site today, and went through your services list for Windows XP. I've messed around with shutting down services not needed, using info from the net. I was surprised when I came to the last entry, "Workstation Service", and saw that you had listed it as "Absolutely!" for needed.

        I disabled this service well over a year ago and have never suffered any ill effects. I run XP Home SP2 on my computer, and use it to do all the typical home computer things - including going on the net and printing.

        I searched for some more info on this, and found it at Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx

        "If the Workstation service is disabled, the system cannot connect to any shared file resources or shared print resources on a network. Only use this workaround on stand-alone systems (such as many home systems) that do not connect to a network. If the Workstation service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on the Workstation service do not start, and an error message is logged in the system event log. The following services depend on the Workstation service:

        Alerter

        Browser

        Messenger

        Net Logon

        RPC Locator

        These services are required to access resources on a network and to perform domain authentication. Internet connectivity and browsing for stand-alone systems, such as users on dial-up connections, on DSL connections, or on cable modem connections, should not be affected if these services are disabled."

        Thanks for the great site, I'm sure I'm going to spend plenty of time reading through it!

        Thanks.

        From: Muhmmad Ahmad <aarfie@yahoo. com>
        To: PkOug@yahoogroups. com
        Date: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 1:08 AM

        Dear Friends,

[...]

      • M. Naeem
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2008
          Dear Ahmad

          I have also experienced such type of problem where all sharing have been lost including shared printers.
          Due to which application software could not be accessed. As we are using Oracle database, due to this problem our database software is also being currupt.

          We found that there were a virus or malware which stoped the the Window SCVHOST.EXE and its allied services.

          We have solved this problem on installing Symantec Antivirus endpoint Ver.11. or you can also install panda endpoint software.

          If your problem persist then go for above mentioned direction, hope it will help you.

          Thanks

          M. Naeem

          http://mail.yahoo.com