Re: [PkOug] How to Backup and Restore Database

  • Zafar Iqbal
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2004
      W.A.SALAM.
      IF U HAVE CONFIGURED RMAN THEN U CAN WRITE SCRIPT TO RUN FOR TAKING BACKUP AND RESTORING HOT BACKUP THROUGH THESE SCRIPTS.
      REGARDS,
      ZAFAR IQBAL.

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2004
        AOA,
                Well i dont know much about Rman, what i want is just that the user clicks on a file and the database is shutdown first then backup is taken and after that the database starts again and same is the case of restore.

        Allah Hafiz
        Abdul Basit

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • dmit@beaconhouse.edu.pk
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2004

          For that you can write a batch file. Shutting down database sometimes takes time depends on volume data un-written to datafiles.

          Aleem

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2004
            Dear Basit,
            Tell us your requirement than we can assist you in more detail.
            there are several types of backup, which backup strategy you are following.
            if you are making simple cold backup(copy, paste) and using unix based os than u have to create shell scripting or if you are using windows OS than create simple batch files.
            and i must prefered you create jobs in Enterprise Manager. Any person who have access in OEM can run your created Jobs.

            Kindest Regards,

            Umair Ijaz Malik
            Support Team Leader,
            Senior Support Analyst,
            Ora-Tech Systems (PVT) LTD.
            Phone : 111-672253 Ext.219
            Email : umairmalik@... , mudiiius@...
            Cell : 0333-2191980
          • Sikandar Hayat
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2004
              Dear Basit,
              My request is not to take backup so easy. So you must
              have much understanding of taking backup and restoring
              database. If it was so simple then companies will
              never hire DBA's. I will say the most
              important/critical job of a DBA is to take backup and
              restore the database without any data loss.

              If you can afford data loss then just use the script
              to export without shutting down the database as it is
              not recommended to shutdown database everyday. You
              performace will suffer and shutting down and starting
              up is also bit risky.

              Once again give more attention to backup and never
              take it so easy. I hope you will understand my point
              of view.

              Regards,
              Sikandar Hayat
              Crescent Bahuman Ltd.

              --- Abdul Basit <princekachan@...> wrote:
              > AOA,
              > Well i dont know much about Rman, what i
              > want is just that the user clicks on a file and the
              > database is shutdown first then backup is taken and
              > after that the database starts again and same is the
              > case of restore.
              >

              > Allah Hafiz
              > Abdul Basit

              > Express yourself with Y! Messenger! Free. Download
              now.

            • Saqib Zulfiqar
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2, 2004
                Generally speaking Oracle backup and recovery is not just a matter of
                copying database files and copying them back in case of recovery. It is a
                bit more complicated than that. Maybe we can categorize the backup process
                in terms of hot, cold, archived logs and exp, but recovery is a tad more
                complex. A recovery would require some human intervention to decide what
                type of recovery is required, e.g. database, tablespace, datafile, block
                level, tablespace point in time, controlfile etc would require their
                specific kind of recovery methods.
                http://www.dba-oracle.com/art_orafaq_oracle_recovery.htm for common recovery
                mistakes.

                As mentioned earlier decide what functionality you are looking for you might
                even want to develop a service level agreement (SLA) and based on that work
                a methodology that best suits you and user needs.

                For reference I am attaching a document that I wrote that contains backup
                and recovery methodology, implementation and maintenance and separate
                document which illustrates how to recovery depending on the type of crash.
                backup and recovery have been done using RMAN and I strongly recommend using
                RMAN for all oracle related B&R. even if you want to schedule them using
                OEM.

                Do let me know if any help is required. All of this has been implemented on
                Solaris. It might work for other flavors with a bit of tweaking, but for
                windows you will have to do some work. If you have access to oracle Metalink
                you will find very interesting articles/scripts on B&R also I think Mike
                Ault has some B&R related articles on his site as well. (search google)

                Hope this helps.

                Best Regards,

                Saqib Zulfiqar
                IS manager, FTS Group,
                Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

                > Tell us your requirement than we can assist you in more detail.
                > there are several types of backup, which backup strategy you are
                following.
                > if you are making simple cold backup(copy, paste) and using unix based os
                than u have to create shell scripting or if you are using windows OS than
                create simple batch files.
                > and i must prefered you create jobs in Enterprise Manager. Any person who
                have access in OEM can run your created Jobs.

                > Kindest Regards,
                >
                > Umair Ijaz Malik
                > Support Team Leader,
                > Senior Support Analyst,
                > Ora-Tech Systems (PVT) LTD.
                > Phone : 111-672253 Ext.219
                > Email : umairmalik@... , mudiiius@...
                > Cell : 0333-2191980
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Abdul Basit
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 11, 2004
                  AOA,
                          Sorry for replying late. Well the complete scenario is such that i have developed an application using VB at front end and Oracle at back end and now i have to deploy it and also have to provide utility for backup and recovery of database. there are 10 users of the database and the backup will be taken on regular basis. Personally i think that it will be better to write scripts that take backup & recover using RMAN.

                  Allah Hafiz
                  Abdul Basit

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                • Shah Muhammad Ishaq
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 11, 2004

                    Hi Basit,

                    “Don’t reinvent the wheel, just use it”.

                    No offence but you seems like reinventing the wheel. I would rather suggest you to use Veritas Net-Backup /Backup Exec, Legato or IBM TSM for more reliable enterprise backup solution. My choice of product is Veritas Net-Backup.

                    Regards,

                    Ishaq

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 11, 2004
                      Dear Basit,
                      Yes, If you can configure rman and manage things with rman than go for it but your own expertise will help you in creating Rman scripts, taking backup from rman is not only the matter, managing is also a very important part.
                      if you want to create OS level schedule or from OEM. i can provide you the scripts.

                      Kindest Regards,

                      Umair Ijaz Malik
                      Support Team Leader,
                      Senior Support Analyst,
                      Ora-Tech Systems (PVT) LTD.
                      Phone : 111-672253 Ext.219
                      Email : umair.malik@... , mudiiius@...
                      Cell : 0333-2191980
                    • Saqib Zulfiqar
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 12, 2004
                        Dear Ishaq,

                        You have raised a very interesting point. I couldnt agree more. But it could be overkill for smaller shops that really dont need enterprise level B/R solutions (because of TCO factor). LSM that comes free with Oracle is good for backing up to tape vai MML, but if you want to backup to disk/tape, automating via rman could be an easier choice. I feel that rman is much easy to implement than the long hot/cold backup scripts that we once used to write. More over you would find some shops that are still persistnent on using exp/imp as their "choice" of backup utility. Depends on needs/skills available and what you can pay for.

                        BR,

                        Saqib Zulfiqar
                        IS Manager
                        FTS Group, Jeddah, SA.