Being an Application Developer, what you need to know and understand...

  • S.M SHEHZAD ALAM
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2003
      Over the last twelve years, I've worked on many projects - successful ones as well as failures, and if i were to encapsulate my experiences into a few broad statements, they would be:
      -          An application built around the database – dependent on the database – will succeed or fail based on how it uses the database
      -          A development team needs t its heart a core of ‘database savvy’ coders who are responsible for ensuring the database logic is sound and the system is tuned

      These may seem like surprisingly obvious statements, but in my experiences, I have found that too many people approach the database as if it were a ‘black box’ – something that they don’t need to know about. Maybe they have a SQL generator that will save them from the hardship of having to learn SQL. Maybe they figure they will just use it like a flat file and do ‘keyed reads’.
      -- Thomas Kyte, Vice President - Core Technologies, Oracle Corporation