Re: [PkOug] Increase Log File Size

  • Kashif Sheikh
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2006
      Thanks to everyone for a quick response, specially to Saqib for the metalink note. That note walk you through this procedure using an example.

      Once again, thanks to everyone.

      Kashif.

      On 3/30/06, Saqib Zulfiqar <saqibz@...> wrote:
      Metalink Note:1035935.6 "Example of How To Resize the Online Redo Logfiles"
      describes the process.

      HTH,

      Saqib Zulfiqar

      >From: "Kashif Sheikh" <kashif.sheikh@...>
      >To: PkOug@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [PkOug] Increase Log File Size
      >Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:50:40 -0600
      >
      >Good Morning,
      >
      >How can I increase the size of the log files? When I created the database I
      >set it to 1MB instead of 10MB and now they are filling like crazy. How can
      >increase it? I have tried Metalink and all the documentation I have and
      >could not find anything on this subject.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >
      >Kashif.

      Offical Website http://www.pkoug.org
      Special Interest Groups (DBA, IDS, IAS, Java, OCS, Apps, Linux, CG, Jobs)
        dba@...
        ids@...
        ias@...
        java@...
        ocs@...
        apps@...
        linux@...
        cg@...
         jobs@...

      Pakistan Oracle Users Group
      Yahoo! Groups Links

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • ���dF�h��m�hm�
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1 1:46 AM
        There is no direct way of changing the size of the
        members of a redo log
        group. Instead, create new redo log groups with
        different sizes and remove
        the old groups.

        svrmgrl> alter database add logfile group 5
        ('patch redo logfile') size 100M;

        Group number should be a number that does not
        currently exist and
        size would be the desired size of the new redo log.
        Remember, you need
        a minimum of 2 logs for the database to run. If you
        currently have x
        number of redo logs that need to be resized, perform
        the 'alter database add
        logfile' x number of times in order to create the
        number of log groups that
        currently exist.

        svrmgrl> alter system switch logfile;

        Perform this statement until you have switched to the
        the first logfile
        with the desired size.

        svrmgrl> alter database drop logfile group 1;

        This should be performed on all old logfile groups
        that are not the
        desired size. Note that you can only drop a redo log
        member/group only if it is
        not an active group. If you want to drop a memeber of
        an active group, first
        force a log switch to occur.

        Note also that when an online redo log member is
        dropped from the database,
        the operating system file is not deleted from disk.
        Rather, the control
        files of the associated database are updated to drop
        the member from the database
        structure. After dropping an online redo log file,
        make sure that the drop
        completed successfully, and then use the appropriate
        operating system command
        to delete online redo log file.

        note: you can drop only inactive log group.please make
        sure before drop from status column of v$log.

        --- Kashif Sheikh <kashif.sheikh@...> wrote:

        > Good Morning,
        >
        > How can I increase the size of the log files? When I
        > created the database I
        > set it to 1MB instead of 10MB and now they are
        > filling like crazy. How can I
        > increase it? I have tried Metalink and all the
        > documentation I have and
        > could not find anything on this subject.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Kashif.

        OCP(Oracle Certified Professional)

        http://mail.yahoo.com