Looking for info

  • Barry Rulnick
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 26, 2010
      Hello,

      I would like to find out more information about my Maternal Grandparents: Abe and Hannah Levine.
       I have researched JewishGen, Ancestry.com, and other sources.
      I believe my Grandparents married in NYC, then moved to Pittsburgh in 1917.  Abe's brother Eli(Maybe, his name was Harry Elijah Levine--not sure), helped his brother to get the job at the Sun.

      I don't know much about my Grandparents, their parents, and all their siblings. I believe that Eli was Abe's only brother. Hannah's siblings were: Marsha ,Louis, Jacob, Harry, and Dr. Hyman Canter. Dr. Hyman Canter delivered me and several other of my family members. Dr. Hyman Canter was very famous and has him name on some hospital in Israel.
      All of Hannah's siblings had their last name changed or spelled CANTOR except Dr. Canter and my Grandmother, Hannah.
      My Grandmother kept her original Ashkenazi spelling of her maiden name and Dr. Hyman went by CANTER.

      Here is a little bio about me:

      My name is Barry Stephan Rulnick.
      I was born in 1950 on Pride Street. I became a Bar Mitzvah at the Ohav Zedek Syagogue(Rabbi Benjamin Krohn) in Oakland.
      My parents, a lev ha sholem, were Merilyn Deloris Rulnick Schaney Levine and Melvin Rulnick.

      My Maternal Grandparents were Abe and Hannah Levine:  Abe Levine, a lev ha sholem, ( died, age 58, Jan. 20, 1953 at the Montefiore Hosp.--started as  a mailer in 1917 for the Sun , joined the Post in 1923, was a member of the Shaare Torah Synagogue.

      Hannah Kanterovich(sp. variations) Levine was a first cousin to the famous comedian actor, Eddie Cantor. Hannah and Abe were married in NYC by arrangement--I believe by Esther, Eddie Cantor's Grandmother.  I can't find hardly any information about her father, Zalman.

      Zalman (b. 1861? in Lithuania?) was a shocket traveling around the U.S. and married Sarah Boyarski(b. 1868?).
       Hannah was a Litvak and proud of her heritage.  Another cousin of Hannah's was the late Rabbi Baruch Poupko.  Rabbi Poupko married my parents.

      My Grandmother, Hannah, a leha ha sholem lived with my family at the Saybrooks Apt. located at 340 Craft Ave.
      Hannah died on Sept. 3, 1961.

      We moved from Pride St. after my Grandfather passed away to the Saybrooks Apt.  Sometime in the mid 1960's, we had a major fire started by a 14 year old boy wearing a Mohawk haircut.  His parents used to beat him with a baseball bat and had cigarette burns all over his body.  My father was the first person to smell smoke.  He, my mother(a leha ha sholem) and my young brother left the apartment.  My twin cousins and I knocked on everyone's door to help get them out.  There were 102 families evacuated and only one person that lived above us died.  We tried desperately to get him out. He was elderly and on medication.
      I remembering crying about him.

      I am a retired math teacher of 37 years currently residing in Murrieta, Ca. with my wife Carol, 4 children and 4 Grandchildren.

      I would appreciate any information regarding my Maternal Great-Grandparents, Maternal Grandparents and their siblings.

      Thank you,

      Barry Rulnick
      372123 Bunchberry Lane
      Murrieta, Ca. 92562
      951-696-0980

    • Evan Wolfson
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 26, 2010
        Barry,

        Give me a few days to review your information, and I will see if I can help.  I am related through marriage to the late Rabbi Pupko of Shaare Torah, so perhaps I can tap some of those resources, too.

        Be in touch.

        Evan Wolfson
        JGSP Co-Chair of Programming

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 26, 2010
          Hi Evan,

          Thank you very much.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 26, 2010
            Hi Barry,

            I recommend you start with the Pittsburgh City Directories and construct a list of exactly where your family lived for as long a period as possible.  Start checking something like 5 year intervals  and  zero in to individual years if they had moved.   Once you find the first one you will usually have the occupation or business name and this will usually help find them in other years. I found 9 Abe levines in 1922 and could not identify yours but in 1930 they started to add the wifes name in Parenthesis so I believe this is your record and Hannah has become Anna in 1930 at 105 Pride:

            Once you have their addresses you have a better chance in searching for them in the PJNP  http://pjn.library.cmu.edu/ and other sources. You can do an advance search with combinations of Abe, Anna, (maybe Hannah), Levine,  street name etc and  find birth, marriage,  death announcements, etc which often have more details.

            Best regards
            Robert Zavos

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 26, 2010

              Hi Robert,

              The 1922 information was correct about my Grandparents, Abe and Hannah (Anna).
              I lived with my Grandparents from birth(1950)-1955 at 105 Pride Street.
              According to some documents, I believe that Abe and Hannah lived at 1079 Fifth Ave. in Pittsburgh around the 1930's and/or 40's.
              The website you provided might help with that information as well.
              I have noticed that names do get mixed up.
              Even the obituary in the CMU Jewish Criterion archives has my Grandfather listed as "Levin".
              That is adding more difficulty in tracing roots.
              The most difficult information is finding about my Maternal Great-Grandparents.
              Trying to find Lithuanian, Russian, Polish, and/or Belarus archives is most troubling.
              What I am hoping to find is some relative that has traced our roots and/or can fill in some information.
              Through JewishGen, I found an Eric Friedman that we must be related from the information that he provided in his search.
              When I tried to contact him through JewishGen, I never got a response.

              Thank you so much for your response.

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 27, 2010
                  Hi Robert,

                  I have some great news.  I was in contact with Eric Friedman.
                  Eric is  my 2 nd cousin, once removed.
                  He can trace our Cantor/Kantorovich family back to the mid 1700's.
                  Our family roots go back to Lida, Belarus--as you stated, the borders kept changing.
                  Lida(Lyda) was part of Poland/Russia/Belarus/Lithuania.
                  Eric is now living in Galilee, Israel.

                  Thank you, Robert, for the information that you have provided.
                  Now, Eric and I can use that information to compare notes.

                  Thank you, again

                  Barry

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 27, 2010
                    Lida is where the Pupkos were from.  The late Baruch Pupko must have had a TUFSHINSKY ancestor, so let me know if you come across that line.  I think the TUFSHINSKYs were related to the SCHUGARS.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 27, 2010
                      Hi Evan,

                      Thank you.
                      My cousin Midred, I believe, is a Shugars. They lived in Squirrel Hill.
                      Her son, Bobby is married to Zelda.  One of their children is Rochelle-was teaching at Schenley H.S. where I graduated in Pittsburgh.
                      I will try to contact Rochelle to get more information.  i will pass along the information that I received from Eric Friedman about our Cantor/Kantorovich family.

                      Thank you, again

                      Barry

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 27, 2010
                        There were two elderly Schugar women a few years ago, who used to shop in the market where I worked.  I do not recall their names or married names (if married).  They were related to the Tufschinskys, who were related to my recently deceased cousin, Esther Maysels.  Her father was Harry Wolfson who came from Lida.  The Wolfsons were SMORGONSKI in Lida, and were also related (perhaps a different way) to the Frank PUPKO/POPKIN family (Fishel Pupko, son of Hillel), but I have never been able to figure-out the connection.

                        It appears from the WWI Manifest (in conjunction with 1930 Census records) that Abe Levine was born in NY, and living in 1917 - perhaps with his mother -- in Pittsburgh, unmarried.  So he probably married Hannah in Pittsburgh.