New Member Researching Singer/Zinger/Zynger

  • looking4zingers
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 11, 2011
      My name is Alison Jaeb. I have been researching my family history - much of which happened in Pittsburgh in the 19 teens and twenties.

      I must say, there are a lot of resources for researching in the Pittsburgh area. I have used database of the Pittsburgh Jewish News extensively - found some GREAT info, including a mention of my grandmother when she was a flower girl in her cousins wedding.

      I've also scoured the online city directories.

      With that said, there is a piece of information that I just cannot find and I thought maybe someone could steer me in the right direction. My great, great, great grandfather who's Hebrew name was Schnaeer Zalmon Singer/Zinger/Zynger (I think!), lived in Pittsburgh. I have no record of him entering the USA, living in the USA or dying in the USA.

      What I do have, is my grandmother's memory. And, let me tell you, she's as sharp as a tack. She remembers that he was killed by a drunk driver while walking to shul. She believes that it was sometime between 1930 and 1935. She clearly remembers sitting on his lap and eating creamed herring when she was young. She doesn't remember him being alive when she was around 10 years old in 1935. She also only called him Zadie, so we're not exactly sure of his name.

      I estimate that he was born between 1850 and 1865 as my great grandmother was born in 1900.

      I would think that a man dying after getting hit by a car would make the news and I can't find anything.

      Thank you in advance!

      Alison Jaeb
    • Barry Rulnick
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 11, 2011
        My Great-Grandfather, Zalman(Zalmen) (Leml) Solomon Kanterovitz(Schoket, Rabbi, and Cantor), died in Pittsburgh on Dec. 14, 1928.  He was an under study Rabbi to our cousin Rabbi Baruch Poupko and later became a Cantor and Rabbi in Greensburg,Pa. Our Cantor family is related to the great comedian Eddie Cantor(I haven't found the exact connection as yet.  My Grandmother, Hannah Levine(Cantor) was Eiddie Cantor's first cousin.  I haven't found the connection to the Poupko family as yet.  Our Cantor family has its roots in Lyda(Lida), Lithuania,Poland,Russia--we were Litvaks.  A cousin from Israel, Eric Friedman, found some of our family tree.
        The famous Rabbi Shneur Zalman of Lida may have been our relative as well.   Zalman married Sara Boyarsky.  Sara died in a house fire in 1915 in Pittsburgh.
        Our Cantor roots can be traced to E1b1b1 Y-HAPLOGROUP --the  Y-Chromosome E1b1b1 hapologroup can be traced to the extended family of the 16th century  Rabbi, scholar, Mystic, and philosopher Judah Loew ben Bazalel ('the MaHaRal") of Prague (1520-1609).
        I will try to find the family tree and email it to you and see if your grandmother can see any connection.

        Here is where my Great-Grandparents are buried ( Zalman(Solomon) and Sara)

        Run on Friday 11 March 2011 at 20:46:53

        Name
        (Other Surnames)
        Place of Birth
        Place of Death
        Date of Birth
        Date of Death
        Hebrew Name
        Hebrew Date
        Age
        Burial Date
        KANTERVITZ, Sarah

        1915

        No Image Available
        PlotSpouseFather
        Mother
        CommentsCemetery Name
        City / Country
        Section: I Row: 8 Lot: 9

         Tiphereth Israel
        Shaler Township, PA / USA

        I have much more information to share.  Let me know if any of this is helpful to you.

        Barry Rulnick

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 11, 2011
          Barry,

          Maybe I can help you with the Lida connection, as I was told I was an in-law to Rabbi Poupko via the wife of my cousin.  She was a Tufshinsky, and from Lida as was her husband, Harry Wolfson (Smorgonski).  They were also related to two Shugar sisters.

          More on the new query in a bit...

          Evan

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 11, 2011
            Here is the family tree of our Cantor Family sent from my cousin, Eric Friedman.
            I still can't  find the Rabbi Baruch Poupko or the  late comedian  "Eddie Cantor"  connections.  I believe that Abraham Kanterovitz(Eddie's Grandfather was either a brother of Israel Kanterovitz(Zalman's father) or Zalman was one of Esther's sons(Eddie's Grandmother)
            I do know that my Grandfather, Abe Levine, started the union in the Post-Gazette after working at the Pittsburgh Sun when his brother Eli had him come from New York to work with him.  Abe married my Grandmother, Hannah Kanterovitz.  Abe's parents were Mandel Levine and Mary Levine.  After my Great-Grandfather, Mandel  Levine died ,  Mary Levine married(or just lived with) my Great-Grandfather Solomon(Zalman) Cantor.  Even though my Grandparents were already married, they were a little embarrassed that they were step-brother and step-sister. I can't find any information on Eli Levine.

            Here is my Family information:

            My Grandmother, Hannah Kanterovitz (b. 1898-1961) was a Litvak from Lida(Spoke Polish, Yiddish, and English).  My Grandmother was a cousin to the late Rabbl Baruch Poupko and the famous actor, comedian Eddie Cantor.
            Rabbi Poupko married my Mother and Father (Merilyn and Melvin Rulnick).

            I cannot find the connection to either Eddie Cantor nor Rabbi Poupko.

            My Levine Grandparents lived and died in Pittsburgh and are buried in the Sharre Torah Cemetery..

            Hannah married Abe Levine.  Hannah's parents were Zalman(Solomon) Cantor, a Shocket/Cantor/ and Rabbi and Sara Boyarsky.
            Abe's parents were Mandel and Mary Levine.
            Hannah had several siblings.  Marsha, Anna, Harry, Louis(Eric Friedman's Great Grandfather), Israel Aron, Jacob Nachman, and Hyman( famous doctor, a medical building is named in Israel for his outstanding work (he delivered me and many of our family members at the Montefiore Hospital in Pittsburgh).  Jacob resembled "Eddie Cantor" that he tried going into the business but didn't do well ended up in real estate/sales and was successful.
            Anna married a Kaplan and a Baer.

            Hannah arrived with her dad in Baltimore in 1913 on the ship Hanover with her final destination as Pittsburgh. Pa.
            Abe was born in New York City.

            Abe had a brother Eli(born 1887-Sept. 30, 1939) and a sister Rae.

            Rae married a Schrieber.  Rae(Ray) Schrieber died age 38 Beechwood Blvd, , Thursday, July 7, 1932, Mercy Hospital.
            Her Husband, Morris Schrieber, daughter, Mildred, two sons, Eugene and Morton. Rabbi Kimmel officiated and interment was made in Carrick (Sharre Torah Cemetery).

            The connection must be in Lida ( probably on the Cantor side of the family)

            Thank you,
            Barry Rulnick

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 12, 2011
              I believe that my great great great grandfather Schnaeer Zalmon Singer/Zinger/Zynger lived with his daughters. They lived on Wylie Avenue and Bedford Avenue in Pittsburgh.

              Scheine Chaia (born in Poland abt 1880) changed her name to Jennie. Her husband Nachman Chotz changed his name to Nathan Singer. They had three daughters: Ella, Lena and Ethel. Ella married Maurice Rudin. Lena married Theodore Grodinsky (their son is Charles Grodin, actor and writer).

              Mnicha Bejla is the other daughter. I'm not sure if she changed her name. She married someone with the last name of Fosters?. They had three sons: Oscar, Morris and ?

              Schnaeer had at least two other children - Moshe Chaim and Simon. Moshe Chaim (my great, great grandfather) came to the US in the early 1900s, felt it wasn't a Kosher country and went back to Poland. Simon ended up in California, where his grandson became a child actor - Stuffy Singer, who appeared on the Blondie show.

              My great grandmother, Esther Singer, was born in 1900 and came to the US in 1920. She married my great grandfather Harold Feigenbaum in 1923.

              Alison

              --- In PittsburghJGS@yahoogroups.com, Barry Rulnick <barryrulnick@...> wrote:

              > Here is the family tree of our Cantor Family sent from my cousin, Eric Friedman.
              > I still can't find the Rabbi Baruch Poupko or the late comedian "Eddie
              > Cantor" connections. I believe that Abraham Kanterovitz(Eddie's Grandfather
              > was either a brother of Israel Kanterovitz(Zalman's father) or Zalman was one of
              > Esther's sons(Eddie's Grandmother)
              > I do know that my Grandfather, Abe Levine, started the union in the Post-Gazette
              > after working at the Pittsburgh Sun when his brother Eli had him come from New
              > York to work with him. Abe married my Grandmother, Hannah Kanterovitz. Abe's
              > parents were Mandel Levine and Mary Levine. After my Great-Grandfather, Mandel
              > Levine died , Mary Levine married(or just lived with) my Great-Grandfather
              > Solomon(Zalman) Cantor. Even though my Grandparents were already married, they
              > were a little embarrassed that they were step-brother and step-sister. I can't
              > find any information on Eli Levine.
              >
              > Here is my Family information:
              >
              > My Grandmother, Hannah Kanterovitz (b. 1898-1961) was a Litvak from Lida(Spoke
              > Polish, Yiddish, and English). My Grandmother was a cousin to the late Rabbl
              > Baruch Poupko and the famous actor, comedian Eddie Cantor.
              > Rabbi Poupko married my Mother and Father (Merilyn and Melvin Rulnick).
              >
              > I cannot find the connection to either Eddie Cantor nor Rabbi Poupko.
              >
              > My Levine Grandparents lived and died in Pittsburgh and are buried in the Sharre
              > Torah Cemetery..
              >
              > Hannah married Abe Levine. Hannah's parents were Zalman(Solomon) Cantor, a
              > Shocket/Cantor/ and Rabbi and Sara Boyarsky.
              > Abe's parents were Mandel and Mary Levine.
              > Hannah had several siblings. Marsha, Anna, Harry, Louis(Eric Friedman's Great
              > Grandfather), Israel Aron, Jacob Nachman, and Hyman( famous doctor, a medical
              > building is named in Israel for his outstanding work (he delivered me and many
              > of our family members at the Montefiore Hospital in Pittsburgh). Jacob
              > resembled "Eddie Cantor" that he tried going into the business but didn't do
              > well ended up in real estate/sales and was successful.
              > Anna married a Kaplan and a Baer.
              >
              > Hannah arrived with her dad in Baltimore in 1913 on the ship Hanover with her
              > final destination as Pittsburgh. Pa.
              > Abe was born in New York City.
              >
              > Abe had a brother Eli(born 1887-Sept. 30, 1939) and a sister Rae.
              >
              > Rae married a Schrieber. Rae(Ray) Schrieber died age 38 Beechwood Blvd, ,
              > Thursday, July 7, 1932, Mercy Hospital.
              > Her Husband, Morris Schrieber, daughter, Mildred, two sons, Eugene and Morton.
              > Rabbi Kimmel officiated and interment was made in Carrick (Sharre
              > Torah Cemetery).
              >
              > The connection must be in Lida ( probably on the Cantor side of the family)
              >

              > Thank you,
              > Barry Rulnick
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Barry Rulnick
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 12, 2011
                Something interesting, it sounds like our relatives attended Fifth Ave. H.S. and may have been in some classes together.
                I was born on Pride St. across from Mercy Hospital, but moved to the Saybrook Apts. in Oakland in 1955.  We had a fire in the mid-sixties and lost everything---no insurance. I ended up in Terrace Village in the Hill District and graduated from Schenley H.S. in 1968.  I will continue researching.

> [...]

                > of our family members at the Montefiore Hospital in Pittsburgh). Jacob
                > resembled "Eddie Cantor" that he tried going into the business but didn't do
                > well ended up in real estate/sales and was successful.
                > Anna married a Kaplan and a Baer.
                >
                > Hannah arrived with her dad in Baltimore in 1913 on the ship Hanover with her
                > final destination as Pittsburgh. Pa.
                > Abe was born in New York City.
                >
                > Abe had a brother Eli(born 1887-Sept. 30, 1939) and a sister Rae.
                >
                > Rae married a Schrieber. Rae(Ray) Schrieber died age 38 Beechwood Blvd, ,
                > Thursday, July 7, 1932, Mercy Hospital.
                > Her Husband, Morris Schrieber, daughter, Mildred, two sons, Eugene and Morton.
                > Rabbi Kimmel officiated and interment was made in Carrick (Sharre
                > Torah Cemetery).
                >
                > The connection must be in Lida ( probably on the Cantor side of the family)

              • Barry Rulnick
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 12, 2011
                  Alison,

                  Here is a fantastic website(free) that I have found most helpful searching for my family.
                  I hope that this information helps you as well.
                  Please feel free to ask any questions that I may be able to help you with during your search.

                  Best regards,

                  Barry

> [...]

                  > of our family members at the Montefiore Hospital in Pittsburgh). Jacob
                  > resembled "Eddie Cantor" that he tried going into the business but didn't do
                  > well ended up in real estate/sales and was successful.
                  > Anna married a Kaplan and a Baer.
                  >
                  > Hannah arrived with her dad in Baltimore in 1913 on the ship Hanover with her
                  > final destination as Pittsburgh. Pa.
                  > Abe was born in New York City.
                  >
                  > Abe had a brother Eli(born 1887-Sept. 30, 1939) and a sister Rae.
                  >
                  > Rae married a Schrieber. Rae(Ray) Schrieber died age 38 Beechwood Blvd, ,
                  > Thursday, July 7, 1932, Mercy Hospital.
                  > Her Husband, Morris Schrieber, daughter, Mildred, two sons, Eugene and Morton.
                  > Rabbi Kimmel officiated and interment was made in Carrick (Sharre
                  > Torah Cemetery).
                  >
                  > The connection must be in Lida ( probably on the Cantor side of the family)

                • Evan Wolfson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 12, 2011
                    Alison,

                    I'd be happy to take a look through some databases for you, but you're going to have to give me a little more information.

                    For example, you say that Schneur Zalman (a common Chassidic name, but not exclusively) ZYNGER/SINGER was in Pittsburgh.  Can you give a time frame on when he came here, and more importantly where he came from...that is, do you know his town of origin?  If not, was he from "Russian Poland" or closer to Austria or the Ukraine?

                    Did he come with his wife, or was he a widower?  Did he remarry?  Did you mean to write that Nachman Chotz took the surname of his wife? (not unheard of).   I didn't see any Oscar Foster* in the area.  Years of birth would help tremendously here.

                    Thanks,
                    Evan

                    ---

                    From: looking4zingers <alijaeb@...>
                    To: PittsburghJGS@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 9:36 AM

> [...]

                    > of our family members at the Montefiore Hospital in Pittsburgh). Jacob
                    > resembled "Eddie Cantor" that he tried going into the business but didn't do
                    > well ended up in real estate/sales and was successful.
                    > Anna married a Kaplan and a Baer.
                    >
                    > Hannah arrived with her dad in Baltimore in 1913 on the ship Hanover with her
                    > final destination as Pittsburgh. Pa.
                    > Abe was born in New York City.
                    >
                    > Abe had a brother Eli(born 1887-Sept. 30, 1939) and a sister Rae.
                    >
                    > Rae married a Schrieber. Rae(Ray) Schrieber died age 38 Beechwood Blvd, ,
                    > Thursday, July 7, 1932, Mercy Hospital.
                    > Her Husband, Morris Schrieber, daughter, Mildred, two sons, Eugene and Morton.
                    > Rabbi Kimmel officiated and interment was made in Carrick (Sharre
                    > Torah Cemetery).
                    >
                    > The connection must be in Lida ( probably on the Cantor side of the family)

                  • looking4zingers
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 12, 2011
                      Ok, below is the email that I was writing before your last reply.

                      Where did you see the name Abraham connected with Scheine Chaia? I'm feeling very much like a genealogy novice right now! Please forgive my ignorance, but I am shaking right now! The possibility that his name is Abraham is so exciting - here's why:

                      Where to begin. My grandmother believes that her "Zadie" was killed by a drunk driver around the time she was 9 or 10 on New Years Eve. After much research I found the following on JewishGen.com: Abraham Joseph Singer died on January 1, 1935. Buried in the Machsikei Hadas (Shaler Township, Pa.)

                      I even contacted someone who went and took pictures of the grave for me. Can I somehow attach them or send them to you?

                      The name Schneur Zalmon came from a family member. He seemed so certain because it was his brother's hebrew name and they believed that that's who he was named after.

                      Thanks, Evan!

                      I wish I knew when Schneur came over. I would say, based on my knowledge of other family members, that he was from Russian Poland. I know he was in Pittsburgh when my grandmother was 5 - so 1930. I do not know if he was a widower or remarried. I do not know his wife's name - only the name of four of his children: Scheine Chaia/Jennie, Mnicha Bejla, Moshe Chaim and Simon.

                      My great grandmother Esther Singer Feigenbaum, was Schneur's granddaughter. Esther was born in March 28,1900. One document says she was born in Brest Litovsk Belarus, another said she was born in Wolchin/Wolczyn Poland. Esther's father's was Moshe Chaim Singer. Her mother was Freida Kayla Goldstein. I don't have birth/death information for either one.

                      (As a side note, some of Freida Kayla's relatives, the Goldsteins, lived in Pittsburgh. One was the doctor that delivered my grandmother, Florence Feigenbaum.)

                      Esther had a half brother named Symcha/Sidney Singer. He was born in Wysockie, Liteweskie, Poland in 1904.

                      Scheine Chaia/Jenny Singer was born in 1880.

                      Nachman Chotz came over in 1907. His wife, Jenny, joined him in 1913. I have Nathan's Petition for Naturalization, where it clearly notes the name change. Also, his children Ella and Lena, are listed as being born in Yanow.

                      --- In PittsburghJGS@yahoogroups.com, "looking4zingers" <alijaeb@...> wrote:

                      > My name is Alison Jaeb. I have been researching my family history - much of which happened in Pittsburgh in the 19 teens and twenties.
                      >
                      > I must say, there are a lot of resources for researching in the Pittsburgh area. I have used database of the Pittsburgh Jewish News extensively - found some GREAT info, including a mention of my grandmother when she was a flower girl in her cousins wedding.
                      >
                      > I've also scoured the online city directories.
                      >
                      > With that said, there is a piece of information that I just cannot find and I thought maybe someone could steer me in the right direction. My great, great, great grandfather who's Hebrew name was Schnaeer Zalmon Singer/Zinger/Zynger (I think!), lived in Pittsburgh. I have no record of him entering the USA, living in the USA or dying in the USA.
                      >
                      > What I do have, is my grandmother's memory. And, let me tell you, she's as sharp as a tack. She remembers that he was killed by a drunk driver while walking to shul. She believes that it was sometime between 1930 and 1935. She clearly remembers sitting on his lap and eating creamed herring when she was young. She doesn't remember him being alive when she was around 10 years old in 1935. She also only called him Zadie, so we're not exactly sure of his name.
                      >
                      > I estimate that he was born between 1850 and 1865 as my great grandmother was born in 1900.
                      >
                      > I would think that a man dying after getting hit by a car would make the news and I can't find anything.
                      >
                      > Thank you in advance!
                      >
                      > Alison Jaeb

                    • Barry Rulnick
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 13, 2011
                        Alison

                        This is the best site(free) that I have found specifically for Pittsburgh that was very helpful for locating specific family members, obituaries, and many resources.
                        http://diva.library.cmu.edu/pjn/index.jsp--try the Criterion and look under "browse collections"--be patient--there is a lot of information.

                        Jewish Gen is a great free site where you can actually see the burial pictures and locations as well as a host of vital statistics.
                        Here is some background about the famous Rabbi Shneur Zalman of Lida(sp. variations of the city due to borders of Russia, Poland, and Lithuania).  Ancestory.com does cost money but offers a free trial period.
                        You can find much more info as you Google his name.  It is believed that he is a descendant of King David.  Zalman was not a surname  in my famiy, it was Kanterovitz(Cantor, Kanter, other variations) and on my Grandfather side, it was Levine.
                        The Univ. of Pitts. and CMU have many resourses to use as well that will help specifically with Pittsburgh.

                        FYI--My Uncle "Schmulley" Sidney Levine was like the a father to me and a wonderful person. There is a picture of him with Hubert H. Humphrey and he played for the Professional Basketball Team in the mid-to-late 40's for the Pittsburgh Raiders-played against the Harlem Globtrotrotters and played at the Irene Kauffman Center.  There was also an very nice article about him in the New Yorker Magazine.
                        He was inducted the Jewish Hall of Fame in Mt. Lebanon.  He passed away in July 10, 1999 at age 80.

                        Let me know if I can be of further assistance,

                        Barry Rulnick

> [...]

                        > What I do have, is my grandmother's memory. And, let me tell you, she's as sharp as a tack. She remembers that he was killed by a drunk driver while walking to shul. She believes that it was sometime between 1930 and 1935. She clearly remembers sitting on his lap and eating creamed herring when she was young. She doesn't remember him being alive when she was around 10 years old in 1935. She also only called him Zadie, so we're not exactly sure of his name.
                        >
                        > I estimate that he was born between 1850 and 1865 as my great grandmother was born in 1900.
                        >
                        > I would think that a man dying after getting hit by a car would make the news and I can't find anything.

                      • Evan Wolfson
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 13, 2011
                          As an update...we were able to figure out that Alison's ancestor was most likely Abraham Joseph, not Schneur Zalman, and the family came from Janow Podlaski, in Lublin Gubernia for JRI-P purposes (at one point in Sidielce Gubernia), and there are records available for that town, so ...paydirt!

                          Best,
                          Evan