New member researching Zonis/Schaffer families

  • elzwinchester
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2011
      My name is Elizabeth Winchester and I'm in NY. I'm just getting started in genealogy and have had a few successes but need more help!
      I'm Elizabeth Winchester in NY. I'm fairly new to genealogy.

      My maternal grandfather, Samuel Zonis, arrived in the US around 1898-1900 at the age of about 18, from Ataki (Bessarabia), Pale of Settlement. Altho I grew up with him he never talked about the past. No one in the family knows how/why he came to Pittsburgh. He lived at various times at 611 Braddock St (1904), 1709 Fifth Ave (1920), 705 Chislett St (1930), 851 Collins Av (1938), 816 Ivy St (1951-1964). He belonged to B'nai Israel Congregation. He was a clothing merchant (1920) and manager in a variety store(1930) .

      His wife Elizabeth nee Schaffer, was born about 1885 in Odessa, came to the US about 1889. I'm having a very hard time finding any records for her. I think her mother's name was Clara. Some family members think she had relatives in Philadelphia. And the family was close to the Weinstocks, but it is unknown if they were relatives.

      I have gone thru all the Jewish Criterions on-line archive looking for more, but before about 1920 there is nothing about them. I have found their headstones at Beth Abraham and have requested their death certificates from the state (still waiting after 2 mos!)

      Anybody out there know of the family?
    • Robert Zavos
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2011
        Hi Elizabeth,

        You are in luck on the Zonis family and the Beth Abraham map. Maybe even even the Shaffer family. I will send you more information later via direct email.  You probably saw the names of their children in the April 25, 1947 obit. I can give you a direct contact with a direct descendant of Elizabeth and Samuel plus I have original photos from the early 1940s and later.

        Robert

        On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 7:10 PM, elzwinchester <ewinchester@...> wrote:

[...]

      • elizabeth winchester
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 30, 2011
          Dear Robert
          I am very excited to meet you!  As a genealogy researcher I'm sure you know how it sometimes becomes frustrating and so finding a fellow is very encouraging.  Thank you in advance.

          I'll give you a bit more detail.  I did grow up in Pittsburgh with my grandfather Sam Zonis and my parents, his daughter Esther and husband Lee Schwadron. My grandmother Elizabeth (I am her namesake) died shortly before my birth.   I did know all their direct descendants, my uncles Harry, Al, Nate and Dave.  Dave is the only one still alive, in California since the 1950's.  I also am in contact with my siblings and surviving 1st cousins, sister Adele, brother Larry (the only one of the family still in Pittsburgh), cousins Marty, Carole, Joanne (Al's children), cousin Jeffrey (Nate's son), cousin Gerry (Dave's son).

          And I have made contact with 2nd cousins thru my research.  Sam's brother Jack Sonnes (he changed his name when he emigrated thru England) lived in NY and I'm getting to know his surviving grandchildren.

          But none of them knows anything about the Schaffers.  And finding documents has proved very difficult.  I'm in a series of classes at JewishGen trying to learn how to research effectively, but I am working so it's a bit of a part-time pursuit.

          I'll look forward to continuing our conversation and seeing those photos and map you mentioned.

          fondly
          Elizabeth Winchester
          1 Whitehouse Av
          Poughkeepsie, NY