      This part (LEFAND/MARIENHOFF/TOLCHINSKY) was from near Nizhen, Russia (now Ukraine).

      The SUPKOFF part was from Shpikov, Russia (also now Ukraine).

      I don't know of any connection to Oscar Levant, but I don't know that there isn't one.

      On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Evan Wolfson <ewolfson@...> wrote:

      Also, my Wolfsons were friendly with the family of Oscar LEVANT, a pianist.  They lived in Colwell St. for a while.  Any connection?

      From: Lara Diamond <laradiamond@...>
      To: PittsburghJGS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 9:54 AM
      Subject: [PittsburghJGS] LEFAND/MARIENHOFF from Pittsburgh

      I'm trying to track down information about my great-great-great
      grandmother (and one of her daughters). I'm not sure of her maiden
      name, so I'd like to find her death certificate in hopes that it's
      there.

      She was born in Russia around 1843. She married a man named Yeshoshua
      LEFAND, and they had at least 5 children, including my great-great
      grandmother Pesha-Riva (later Pearl/Bessie TOLCHINSKY. After his
      death, she remarried (still in Russia) Itzik MARIENHOFF/MARINOFF, and
      they had at least 6 children together before he died.

      She came to America in July 1906 as Mary LIFFOND, and the boat record
      said she was joining her son L. LIFFOND (who was actually Louis
      LEIFFAND) on Fifth Avenue in Pittsburgh. In the 1910 census, she was
      living on Colwell Street, and they have her recorded as Mary LEVANT
      (with the wrong age, but it's her because of the other family members
      at the same address). She was living with two daughters , Elizabeth
      and Emma (they were Liba & Nechama on the boat record), as well as her
      sons Harry (Hirsch) and
      David, her son-in-law (my great-great grandfather) Hillel TOLCHINSKY,
      and her great-grandson Isadore (my great grandfather, later Isadore
      TOLCHIN). Emma later became Emma Nemser, and I haven't managed to
      track down what happened to Elizabeth.

      I've tracked Harry & David (Harry ended up in Akron as Harry
      MARIENHOFF, and David legally changed his name from David MARIENHOFF
      to ALPERN for unknown reasons), but I have no clue where Elizabeth
      could have ended up. By the 1920 census, I can't find her, but if
      she'd married, that would make sense. I'd love to track down
      herdescendants.

      I'd also like to find out what happened to Mary. I'm guessing she
      died between 1910 and 1915, when there was a granddaughter named Myra
      (assuming named after her) born. It looks like she may have gone back
      to using her name from her first married, so she could be some version
      of (all the following were used by her kids who I've tracked to the
      US) LEFAND, LAFFEND, LEIFFAND, LEFANDT, LEVANT, or she could have
      stuck with MARIENHOFF or MARINOFF as her legal name.

      I've searched through old issues of the Criterion and talked to many
      relatives, but I'm coming up empty. I'd appreciate any help!

      Lara

      Pittsburgh: LEFAND, MARIENHOFF, TOLCHINSKY, TOLCHIN, SUPKOFF, SANSHUK
      McKeesport: JOSOVITZ/JOSHOWITZ, RUTNER
      Glassport: JOSOVITZ/JOSHOWITZ

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic