      From: looking4zingers <alijaeb@...>
      Subject: [PittsburghJGS] Re: New Member Researching Singer/Zinger/Zynger
      To: PittsburghJGS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 9:36 AM

      I believe that my great great great grandfather Schnaeer Zalmon Singer/Zinger/Zynger lived with his daughters. They lived on Wylie Avenue and Bedford Avenue in Pittsburgh.

      Scheine Chaia (born in Poland abt 1880) changed her name to Jennie. Her husband Nachman Chotz changed his name to Nathan Singer. They had three daughters: Ella, Lena and Ethel. Ella married Maurice Rudin. Lena married Theodore Grodinsky (their son is Charles Grodin, actor and writer).

      Mnicha Bejla is the other daughter. I'm not sure if she changed her name. She married someone with the last name of Fosters?. They had three sons: Oscar, Morris and ?

      Schnaeer had at least two other children - Moshe Chaim and Simon. Moshe Chaim (my great, great grandfather) came to the US in the early 1900s, felt it wasn't a Kosher country and went back to Poland. Simon ended up in California, where his grandson became a child actor - Stuffy Singer, who appeared on the Blondie show.

      My great grandmother, Esther Singer, was born in 1900 and came to the US in 1920. She married my great grandfather Harold Feigenbaum in 1923.

      Alison

      --- In PittsburghJGS@yahoogroups.com, Barry Rulnick <barryrulnick@...> wrote:

      > Here is the family tree of our Cantor Family sent from my cousin, Eric Friedman.
      > I still can't find the Rabbi Baruch Poupko or the late comedian "Eddie
      > Cantor" connections. I believe that Abraham Kanterovitz(Eddie's Grandfather
      > was either a brother of Israel Kanterovitz(Zalman's father) or Zalman was one of
      > Esther's sons(Eddie's Grandmother)
      > I do know that my Grandfather, Abe Levine, started the union in the Post-Gazette
      > after working at the Pittsburgh Sun when his brother Eli had him come from New
      > York to work with him. Abe married my Grandmother, Hannah Kanterovitz. Abe's
      > parents were Mandel Levine and Mary Levine. After my Great-Grandfather, Mandel
      > Levine died , Mary Levine married(or just lived with) my Great-Grandfather
      > Solomon(Zalman) Cantor. Even though my Grandparents were already married, they
      > were a little embarrassed that they were step-brother and step-sister. I can't
      > find any information on Eli Levine.
      >
      > Here is my Family information:
      >
      > My Grandmother, Hannah Kanterovitz (b. 1898-1961) was a Litvak from Lida(Spoke
      > Polish, Yiddish, and English). My Grandmother was a cousin to the late Rabbl
      > Baruch Poupko and the famous actor, comedian Eddie Cantor.
      > Rabbi Poupko married my Mother and Father (Merilyn and Melvin Rulnick).
      >
      > I cannot find the connection to either Eddie Cantor nor Rabbi Poupko.
      >
      > My Levine Grandparents lived and died in Pittsburgh and are buried in the Sharre
      > Torah Cemetery..
      >
      > Hannah married Abe Levine. Hannah's parents were Zalman(Solomon) Cantor, a
      > Shocket/Cantor/ and Rabbi and Sara Boyarsky.
      > Abe's parents were Mandel and Mary Levine.
      > Hannah had several siblings. Marsha, Anna, Harry, Louis(Eric Friedman's Great
      > Grandfather), Israel Aron, Jacob Nachman, and Hyman( famous doctor, a medical
      > building is named in Israel for his outstanding work (he delivered me and many
      > of our family members at the Montefiore Hospital in Pittsburgh). Jacob
      > resembled "Eddie Cantor" that he tried going into the business but didn't do
      > well ended up in real estate/sales and was successful.
      > Anna married a Kaplan and a Baer.
      >
      > Hannah arrived with her dad in Baltimore in 1913 on the ship Hanover with her
      > final destination as Pittsburgh. Pa.
      > Abe was born in New York City.
      >
      > Abe had a brother Eli(born 1887-Sept. 30, 1939) and a sister Rae.
      >
      > Rae married a Schrieber. Rae(Ray) Schrieber died age 38 Beechwood Blvd, ,
      > Thursday, July 7, 1932, Mercy Hospital.
      > Her Husband, Morris Schrieber, daughter, Mildred, two sons, Eugene and Morton.
      > Rabbi Kimmel officiated and interment was made in Carrick (Sharre
      > Torah Cemetery).
      >
      > The connection must be in Lida ( probably on the Cantor side of the family)
      >

      > Thank you,
      > Barry Rulnick

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic