PITAYA FARMING IN THE PHILIPPINES

  • Leonard Chew
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
      I am a new member & I would like to know how I can start PITAYA FARMING
      in the Philippines. Can anyone help me as to where I can get the
      cuttings locally? Furthermore, the farm land is on some highland and the
      slopes are at ±60°. The night temperatures are around 15°C to
      20°C. Is there any problem with farming in such conditions?

      Thanks.

    • danyela.salmon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11, 2006
        I am from New Caledonia and I checked in Australia for cuttings,
        but nobody is willing to send me some. I wrote to Birdwood nursery
        (birdwood1@...)and Daley's Nursery
        (wwww.daleysfruit;com.au) with no success.

        I am still looking for some others address. Furthermore with the spread of the disease, I don't think it is the right time to import cuttings before we know more about.

        Danyèla

        --- In PitayaFruit@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard Chew"
        <leonardchew99@...> wrote:

        > I am a new member & I would like to know how to start PITAYA FARMING
        > in the Philippines. Can anyone help me as to where I can get cuttings
        > locally? Furthermore, the farm land is on some highland and the
        > slopes are at ±60°. The night temperatures are around 15°C to
        > 20°C. Is there any problem with farming in such conditions?
        >

        > Thanks.
      • brad hunter
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 12, 2006
          Hi Danyela!

          I was in Noumea last year and I saw two kinds of
          pitaya growing wild. You may be able to use the wild
          undatus that is already there. Do you live in Noumea? I
          have a large collection and could possibly send a few
          but customs may seize them. You can write me at
          rottensquid@.... I wish I was back in New
          Caledonia munching on a baguette and wandering around
          the farmers market.

          Aloha

          Brad
        • Graham Reinders
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 12, 2006
            Hello Leonard.

            I grow in Dumaguete and can let you have some cuttings.

            Zac Sarian, Editor, Agriculture Magazine, from Teresa has as many cuttings as you want. They seem to average about P100 a cutting.

            Graham

            >From: "Leonard Chew" <leonardchew99@...>
            >To: PitayaFruit@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [PitayaFruit] PITAYA FARMING IN THE PHILIPPINES
            >Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 04:52:33 -0000
            >
            >I am a new member & I would like to know how I can start PITAYA FARMING
            >in the Philippines. Can anyone help me as to where I can get the
            >cuttings locally? Furthermore, the farm land is on some highland and the
            >slopes are at �60�. The night temperatures are around 15�C to
            >20�C. Is there any problem with farming in such conditions?
            >
            >Thanks
          • ariel023
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 14, 2006
              Hi Daniela

              What other exotic fruit have you there
              Please contact me directly

              Ariel
            • Leonard Chew
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 16, 2006
                Hello Graham,

                Thanks for the offer, but I am still studying the viability of
                Pitaya Farming in the Phils.

                By the way, what are the species available in your place? I was looking at the Red Flesh Pitaya from Malaysia. Is that available
                in the Phils & will this have better demand in the Phils compared
                with the White Flesh? What are the pros & cons?

                Regards.
                Leonard Chew

                > Graham Reinders <grahamreinders@...> wrote:
                Hello Leonard.

                > I grow in Dumaguete and can let you have some cuttings.

                > Zac Sarian, Editor, Agriculture Magazine, from Teresa has as many >cuttings as you want. They seem to average about P100 a cutting.

                >Graham
              • Graham Reinders
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 20, 2006
                  Hi Leonard,

                  I have the standard white inside red outside, I may yet have some yellow it is too soon to tell. There are two other growers here, I think they have the white inside red outside.

                  The Cebu market seems limited out of 5 supermarkets only one
                  sometimes has some. That to me is a sure indication of its sellability.

                  Manila if it really has the 12 million claimed of it may be a decent market.
                  Just do a walk around ten big produce stores and see how many actuall offer it for sale.

                  Dumaguete would not buy any even if there was nothing else.

                  I am just playing with it, I want to try a Dragon/passionfruit juice mix, and play around until I find a good use for it.

                  Post harvest and harvest time timing is a problem. Go back and read some of my old posts on the subject, related to "Sweetness"