Transition from Palm OS/Palm Desktop

  • shootmenowwillis
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010
      Hi All.

      I'm getting a bit anxious about a necessary move from Palm OS and Palm Desktop.

      Network-wise, I'm married to Verizon. Very happy, and it's the only network in my area with the coverage I need. While I know that they now offere the Pre and Pixi, I think it's time for me to move on after over 10 years.

      Form-factor-wise, I prefer buttons over virtual keyboard, but that decision is not final. I've played enough on the iPhone and Droid (virtual only, what a mess THAT keyboard seems to be, what with the D-pad and all!) to be OK with it, but still prefer buttons. So, I'm leaning Blackberry, but still like the idea of the Nexus One (coming to Verizon in the spring).

      Functionality-wise, I value my contacts & calendar above all. Memos somewhat. I'm here because I love Pimlico's DateBook. Pimlical will work fine, of course, but I tried to synch to Google Calendar, using CompanionLink, and Google's calendar will NEVER be sufficient for my desktop needs. I know nothing about how a Blackberry works re: contacts/calendar functions. Can they synch to a desktop program OTHER THAN Outlook?

      What are other user experiences in this regard?

      Thanks!
    • Morgan Young
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 27, 2010
        Today, I got a Palm Pixi from Sprint. I am trying it for 30 days, with
        a big huge count down going right now,
        so after many years of use of Datebk, I am going to have to convert.
        I hope Pimlical moves on too.
      • shootmenowwillis
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 28, 2010
          I'm *VERY* interested to hear your impressions!

          --- In Pimlical@yahoogroups.com, Morgan Young <richard.m.young.emtp@...> wrote:

          > Today, I got a Palm Pixi from Sprint. I am trying it for 30 days, with
          > a big huge count down going right now,
          > so after many years of use of Datebk, I am going to have to convert.
          > I hope Pimlical moves on too.

        • Peter
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 28, 2010
            --- In Pimlical@yahoogroups.com, "shootmenowwillis" <abehollander@...> wrote:

            > I'm *VERY* interested to hear your impressions!

            So am I! I caught sight of DateBk6 on my old Treo 680 (my wife 'inherited' it!) this morning accompanied by waves of nostalgia. Now wondering if I should return to DateBk6p under the WebOS-Classic arrangement on a Pre/Pixie even though I have now used Pimlical on my PC for a good six months.

            If only CESD could give even the slightest "hint" (e.g. Q1,Q2,Q3?) about how much longer we have to wait for Pimlical on other handhelds (e.g. my HTC Hero/Android). The website is still showing 2009/2010 for handheld OS roll-outs and I'm hoping it will be 2010 and not 2011. I just can't wait that long and Google Calendar is not suitable for me.

            -PH, Inverness, Scotland, UK
          • Jerry
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 29, 2010
              Where do you find that " Classic" software please,
              Thanks.

            • Morgan Young
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 29, 2010
                I can't find it either. Motion apps said make sure you have the latest version of the webOS and then look for it.

                Where do you find that " Classic" software please,
                Thanks.

                Morgan Young, A.A.S. CCEMT-P I/C
                P.O. Box 375
                Stockton, MO 65785
                417-955-1497 cell
                KDØISH
                ___
                Sent with SnapperMail via Verizon/Alltel & a Treo 755p.
              • Boris Kirkorowicz
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 29, 2010
                  Hi,

                  Morgan Young schrieb:
                  > I can't find it either. Motion apps said make sure you have the
                  > latest version of the webOS and then look for it.

                  this is correct.
                  Maybe you find it faster if you change the sort order to A-Z.

                  --

                  Mit freundlichem Gruss Best regards
                  Boris Kirkorowicz
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 29, 2010
                    I tried the sort order on all settings. Thank you for the advice. I looked through all 655 programs.

                    > I can't find it either. Motion apps said make sure you have the
                    > latest version of the webOS and then look for it.

                    this is correct.
                    Maybe you find it faster if you change the sort order to A-Z.

                    --

                    Mit freundlichem Gruss Best regards
                    Boris Kirkorowicz

                    Morgan Young, A.A.S. CCEMT-P I/C
                    P.O. Box 375
                    Stockton, MO 65785
                    417-955-1497 cell
                    KDØISH
                    ___
                    Sent with SnapperMail via Verizon/Alltel & a Treo 755p.
                  • Barbara Needham
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 29, 2010
                      --- In Pimlical@yahoogroups.com, Morgan Young <richard.m.young.emtp@...> wrote:

                      > I tried the sort order on all settings. Thank you for the advice. I looked through all 655 programs.

                      I thought Classic was only for the PRE???

                      Is there one for pixi also???
                    • Morgan Young
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 29, 2010
                        After updating webOS found classic & several other things, next get datebk6 on it ASAP.

                        thanx guys.

                        > I tried the sort order on all settings. Thank you for the advice. I looked through all 655 programs.

                      • Hook
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 30, 2010
                          --- In Pimlical@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Needham" <nosugref2000@...> wrote:

                          > I thought Classic was only for the PRE???
                          >
                          > Is there one for pixi also???

                          Yes. Classic is for WebOS. Works on both Pre and Pixi.