Re: [Pimlical] Re: Pocketmod

  • Jochen Konietzko
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009
      ...... Original Message .......
      On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 16:32:02 +1000 (EST) "Voytek Eymont" <voytek@...>
      wrote:
      >Dan Bricklin's 'Demo' comes back to memory....
      >
      >--
      >Voytek

      Huh?

      Jochen
    • Francesco Peeters
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009
        Jochen Konietzko wrote:
> [...]
        http://www.bricklin.com/chiapaint.htm

        :-)

        --
        Francesco Peeters
        I still love my Palm T3, but with a Windows smartphone *and* an iPod
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009
          I was going to say, let's wait until the device is actually available and we can get a look at it before we get too excited. Demos are designed by clever marketing departments to build hype, not explain reality.
          Bert Latamore
          IT Journalist, Report Writer and Book Doctor
          From tweets and blogs to white papers and books:
          You provide the information; I craft the words.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009
            lightworker8 wrote:
            > This is exactly what I was thinking would work really well. I just
            > haven't figured out how to change the Pimlical views I need into
            > Pocketmod format.

            I could make a Pocketmod from an 8 page .odt file by saving it as pdf
            and then running a conversion program in Linux to make rearrange the
            pages to Pocketmod. The problem is that I don't see any export feature
            on Pimlical.

            Is there an export feature planned. For example, a view of the weeks
            schedule can be printed, but will we be able to just export that as a
            list? Same thing for Tasks?

            I imagine that ThinkingRock's feature is doing something like that. You
            build the 8 pages by selecting what you want on each and then it grinds
            for a while to produce it.

            Thanks,
            Anita
          • Voytek Eymont
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009
              <quote who="Jochen Konietzko">

              Demo was an application for prototyping/demoing software, essentially, a
              slide show with effects; you could create an impressive software app that
              did nothing in reality, but had realistic appearance, it was a DOS app.

              in the demo of 'Demo' the screen said like 'saving data', at the same
              time, the floppy drive light lit up, and, IIRC, even the floppy drive
              started spinning

              --
              Voytek
            • Anita Lewis
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009
                Anita Lewis wrote:

                > I could make a Pocketmod from an 8 page .odt file by saving it as pdf
                > and then running a conversion program in Linux to make rearrange the
                > pages to Pocketmod. The problem is that I don't see any export feature
                > on Pimlical.
                >
                > Is there an export feature planned. For example, a view of the weeks
                > schedule can be printed, but will we be able to just export that as a
                > list? Same thing for Tasks?

                Ok, I did read (some of) the fine manual or at least searched on
                "export" and found where I can bring up a view and then do a find on it
                for either appointments or tasks or default. Then I can export this
                (currently with the PimlicalExportTemplate). I should be able to make a
                template to my liking. This is perfect, because I can do Tasks and
                Appointments separately.

                Now while I wait for the Linux version, I can read the whole manual.
                There is a lot hidden under that pretty GUI!

                Thanks for the great job so far!

                Anita
              • lightworker8
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009
                  Yes, CESD, I agree:

                  >Things that are not real often look cool ;)

                  and it's the job of marketing departments and graphic designers to make the unreal look cool and be the bane of engineers (and often users). I too, have my doubts about this gadget, but this would be the ideal set-up for someone like me. Since such a set-up is not yet available, I must have hope.

                  By the way, and I hope this isn't disturbing <G>, but it was quite easy to picture Pimlical running on that amazing tablet. There could be a trust fund for gorillas in the future if such a thing were to be released, worked properly, and sold in any great number.

                  For the time being, back to the Centro, Zire, and Pimlical export to Pocketmod solution.

                  LW

                  --- In Pimlical@yahoogroups.com, "CESDewar" <dewar@...> wrote:

                  > There is an upcoming hand held (from Microsoft) that appears to be the
                  > dream gadget:
                  > http://gizmodo.com/5369493/leaked-courier-video-shows-how-well-actually-use-it
                  >
                  > After all these years of despising Microsoft, I can't believe I've just
                  > promoted a Microsoft product that hasn't even been released yet. I must be
                  > desperate. But boy, does this tablet thing look cool!
                  >
                  > Things that are not real often look cool ;)
                  >
                  > I always like demos like this. Experienced programmers watching this demo
                  > realize that there are several things that simply cannot possibly work they
                  > way they are pictured. There are several actions which clearly do not have
                  > enough specificity to cause the displayed results. So part of the reason it
                  > looks so cool is that some of things shown are impossible -- so nothing like
                  > that has ever been done before (and won't be done in the future either<g>).
                  >
                  > When you are dealing with animations, ANYTHING is possible, but when you
                  > have to write code to actually IMPLEMENT what some graphic designers are
                  > getting excited about....well...reality sets in <g>. But of course, there
                  > are advantages in doing this because programmers are often constrained
                  > idea-wise by the realization that something would be so horribly difficult
                  > to implement that they don't even really want to consider it as something
                  > that might be "desirable" (!).
                  >
                  > Cheers!
                  > CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc.
                  > . . .

                • dirmansyahlubis
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 1, 2009
                    I like your words.

                    After several months of using Nokia E-series calendar, I think Nokia programmers do not dream as many of us here do, perhaps they never even sleep.
                    If I could install DateBk "3" on Nokia E63, to replace their calendar, I would do that.

                    I would like to challenge any strong user here to try Nokia E-series calendar. Who knows, you will not feel the pain as I do. :)

                    DL
                    .

                    "CESDewar" wrote:

                    > But of course, there
                    > are advantages in doing this because programmers are often constrained
                    > idea-wise by the realization that something would be so horribly difficult
                    > to implement that they don't even really want to consider it as something
                    > that might be "desirable" (!).
                  • Bert Latamore