Re: [Physick18C] Myth?

  • Susanne Iles
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27 10:36 AM
      I found this myth to be a bit odd given the commanding officers would not at all be interested in their men being dosed prior to battle. Having alert men would be helpful in a war one would think. And you are right...laudanaum was far too expensive to be handed out liberally, so to speak.

      On 27 January 2013 12:31, Jay Callaham <callaham@...> wrote:

      I've never even heard of this as a period-myth! It's silly - after the first couple of guys, how would anyone know where to lick? As has been pointed out, Laudanum was one of the more expensive items, so not to be wasted on the reins of horse tack. This falls into the category of nonsense like: "the breeches were cut full in the rear so that soldiers could put rags in them and not have to stop to crap while on the march." Yeah - I heard THAT one some time ago.

      When some when I see someone in 18th century attire, especially military attire, with a beard of more than a couple of days' growth, that person has no credibility as far as I'm concerned.

      Jay
      callaham@...

      "Molon Labe" - - attributed to Leonidas, Spartan King
      "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
      "If you do not receive this, it must have miscarried, therefore I beg you write and let me know." - - - Sir Boyle Roche, 18th century Member of the Irish Parliament

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27 11:03 AM
        Dear Members,

        Lots of myths out there....remember how some of us use to tell the public that soldier's were given bullets to bite on during operations and that is the origin of the expression "to bite the bullet?"

        So little time, so much learning and educating to do.

        Tom Bertrand
      • Wendy Moyer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 27 11:08 AM
          So very true Tom!!! Educate, Educate & more Educate!

          Wendy

        • Gabrielle Long
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27 2:10 PM

            What research? What is their source?
            Gab

                I recently heard the following recounted in a local  Pennsylvania
            historical society newsletter. I can't believe that it is accurate,  but I could
            be wrong. Anybody ever heard of this? The writer and speaker  both have
            insisted to me it's "according to research."

                "This full-bearded re-enactor reported that  [Revolutionary War]
            doctors would cover their hands with a solution of laudanum  (tincture of opium),
            and while on horseback ride among the troops. Many men  would step up in
            order to lick the drug off the medic’s hand. He explained that  this was an
            attempt to calm the nerves before going into battle."

                            Nancy Webster

            Messages in this topic (1)

            <*> Your email settings:
                Digest Email  | Traditional