18th Century medical

  • Pvt Humphreys
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2012
      I am interested in expanding my 18th century persona to possibly becoming a surgeons mate. Is there some reading material regarding 18th century medicine anyone can recommend? I may in the near future look to acquire some items of interest preferably reproduction surgical items. If anyone knows of any out there.

      I Remain
    • Jay Callaham
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2012
        "A Soldier's Story" - edited by Don Hagist, is composed of extracts written by Sjt Roger Lamb of the 23rd Reg't of Foot while serving in America. He'd previously served in the 9th Regiment of Foot until captured with Burgoyne's Army at Saratoga. He escaped and was allowed to choose his regiment when he arrived in NY. He chose the 23rd. He served as a Surgeon's Mate, in addition to being an NCO in both of those regiments. His journals do not, unfortunately, say much about medical practices beyond a long dissertation on life-saving technique for drowning victims.

        While this doesn't give a lot of insight into what he did as a Surgeon's Mate, it is an interesting insight.

        Jay
        callaham@...

        "Molon Labe" - - attributed to Leonidas, Spartan King
        "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
        "If you do not receive this, it must have miscarried, therefore I beg you write and let me know." - - - Sir Boyle Roche, 18th century Member of the Irish Parliament

        I am interested in expanding my 18th century persona to possibly becoming a surgeons mate. Is there some reading material regarding 18th century medicine anyone can recommend? I may in the near future look to acquire some items of interest preferably reproduction surgical items. If anyone knows of any out there.

        I Remain

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to: