Surgeon's red arm bands

  • Lee
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2011
      Dear List--I have seen pictures of British Army surgeons/surgeon's mate reenactors (Rev War & F&I)wearing red arm bands. I am wondering whether this reflects a documented 18th century medical practice (uniform regulations, orderly books, letters, period paintings, etc.), or is a recent "reenactorism" for identification of medical types on the field. I'd be interested in any information which could shed light on this practice. Thanks.

      Take Care, Lee Davis, Royal Navy Surgeon