Hugh Mercer Apothecary Shop--Fredericksburg, VA

  • Chris E.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2007
      Just learned of this spot and thought some would travel past this
      place sometime.

      Wishing you good health,
      Chris E
      Hampton, VA

      Hugh Mercer Apothecary Shop
      This 18th-century building restored as the Hugh Mercer Apothecary
      Shop presents a vivid living history interpretation of Colonial
      medical practices. Visitors can hear about the popular treatment of
      the day for a lady's hysteria or a medicine so potent that it would,
      according to one wealthy plantation owner, "cheer a man with a bad
      wife." Adult admission, $5; students 6-18, $1.50. Group rates
      available. March 1-November 30: Monday-Saturday, 9am-5pm; Sunday,
      11am-5pm. December 1-February 28: Monday-Saturday, 10am-4pm; Sunday,
      noon-4pm. Closed January 1, Thanksgiving, December 24, 25, and 31.
      Please allow 45 minutes for your visit.
      Price $ - $
      (540) 373-3362
      1020 Caroline St
      Fredericksburg, VA 22401
    • Donald Post

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2007
          > Note that it says "18th-century building restored as"

          Mercers original was bulldozed long ago.

          In the 1950s the building where the artifacts are housed now was a
          Ford dealership.

          Time marches on, but at least someone cared enough to save a few of
          his things and open a museum down the street from the original.

          Best regards,
          Ed
          For Revolutionary War information on the Internet, your first choice
          should be AmericanRevolution.org
        • Chris E.
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 6, 2007
            --- In Physick18C@yahoogroups.com, Donald Post <donald.post2@...>
            wrote:

            > Fredericksburg is very historic. There is lots to see.

            We had a great time a couple years ago when we took youngest ds (and
            my fellow reenactor--dh often stays home:) to Ferry Farm, George
            Washington's boyhood home, on GW's birthday. It was a bit of a
            stirring moment as we watched ds romp through the same wooded slopes
            down towards the river where GW himself could have (must have?)
            trodden so long ago. We stopped by the little historical society (or
            something like that) museum on our way home. We would have chosen the
            Apothecary shop instead had we known of it. Both dh and I are medical
            types.

            Chris E
            Hampton, VA