Nurse Wannabe Study Helps??

  • Chris E.
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2007
      We have a new member of our re-enacting unit(even newer than I) who
      wants to do a physician impression. I am/have been a nurse
      wannabe/camp follower and VERY working class(w/lower class kit). I
      have ds in tow, 13, who is a powder monkey/runner (dispatches,
      small supplies); DH doesn't re-enact, so I have often said I was a
      widow...some have said widows tended to remarry ASAP if only for
      survival. In conversation w/the public at an event, another distaff
      member in our unit (knowing from limited conversation w/ me) offered
      that I "was a good nurse that the commander allowed to stay, and had
      authorised rations from the quartemaster."

      Short story long, have you suggestions, preferably free internet,
      for study on 18th century nursing in RevWar?? I have done googles
      and found some of the things I posted previously.

      Thnks for the help...and wishing you all much success in the coming
      season saving the troops, civilians, and not least of all yourselves
      from whatever pestilence and calamity may come your way.

      Chris E
      Hampton, VA

      PS: We added the "dispatch runner" part when I came across the info
      that Andrew Jackson, at 13, during the RevWar was captured and held
      POW by the British. He is the only President who has ever been a POW.

      Just a bit o' trivia FYI.
    • Kathy
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2007
        Hi!
        I do Rev War nursing, too!
        I found the book by Holly Mayer "Following the Army: Camp & others in the American Revolution"
        to be simply wonderful!
        Kathy P.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2007
          Ooops!
          The book is "Belonging to the Army:Campfollowers and Others During the War of the Revolution" I haven't found much on the Internet.
          Enjoy!
          Kathy P.
          Time for Bed!

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8, 2007
            For anyone that's interested.....I found the book, "Belonging to the Army:  Camp Followers and Others" on Amazon.com   It retails new for $14.96 and there are 17 used copies starting at $10.00.

            Anita

            (P.S. - Sorry about including all the previous messages - I can't figure out a way to selectively delete them without deleting the ENTIRE previous message.