What is Going On Out There?

  • Lee and Dot Fisher
    Message 1 of 8 , May 18, 2006
      Greetings:

      This group has been silent way too long. Anyone have events coming up
      this summer where they may need help? No one seems to have questions!
      We had a great bust of information when I started the list, but that has
      dried up lately. As I understand it, if the list is inactive for a
      period of time, Yahoo cancels it. Anybody thinking of another medical
      conference next year? There is bound to be something going on or coming
      up that would be of interest.

      Lee Fisher
      aka. Dr. Hall Jackson
    • W. Moyer
      Message 2 of 8 , May 18, 2006
        Dear Lee,

        You are quite correct that the group has been quiet for much to long.

        As for events my husband and I are planning on setting up medical (we do not play surgeon but physician/pox) at Green Spring in July. We would love to have anyone who would like join us to do so. It appears they are going to place us away from the camp in some fashion (which is fine as long as we are not in Timbuktu) and it is very pleasant to have several together to present)  We will be doing other events also but have not thought ahead that far.

        I have been busy learning many things over the Barracks at Trenton (volunteering there) and have spent a great deal of time in the surgical rooms in first person.

        YH&OBS,

        Wendy
        5th PA Regiment
        List owner for Rev War Buy Sell Swap

        Providing sewing services for woman.
        Alterations & New Items at reasonable prices..
        Packages & Payment Plans for any budget!
        Get started in reenactment with the correct outfit
         for less then $200
        Visit my updated web page at

      • Thomas Jena
        Message 3 of 8 , May 18, 2006
          Lee,
           The good Churgien Hill and I are preparing for Vincennes next weekend (Memorial Day). We don't normally set up his display but.................... For any on the list attending Yorktown in October, we are planning on being there and would love to put faces with names (as we are carpooling will not be bringing the surgical gear).
          Oops, gotta go.............about to begin having puppies.
          Tom J.
          Surg Mate
          Culpeper Min Batt

          Lee and Dot Fisher <LeeDotFisher@...> wrote:
          Greetings:

          This group has been silent way too long.  Anyone have events coming up
          this summer where they may need help?  No one seems to have questions!
          We had a great bust of information when I started the list, but that has
          dried up lately.  As I understand it, if the list is inactive for a
          period of time, Yahoo cancels it.  Anybody thinking of another medical
          conference next year?  There is bound to be something going on or coming
          up that would be of interest.

          Lee Fisher
          aka. Dr. Hall Jackson

        • Todd Post
          Message 4 of 8 , May 18, 2006
            List,

            Just to clarify, at Green Springs, the set up for the Continental
            "flying hospital" that Wendy refers to is quite flexible. We'll work
            to make sure it's far enough from from the camp to make interpretive
            sense (since hospitals were generally away from the main camp), but
            not so far as to qualify as "Timbuktu". <G>

            For those who are coming to Green Spring, you may be interested to
            know that there is a primary account of the care of the wounded
            following the battle:

            Lt. Francis Brooke, 1st Continental Artillery wrote in his memoirs:
            "Wayne not only lost his artillery, but had, I think, eleven officers
            badly wounded, whom I saw the next morning under the hands of the
            Surgeon, at the church, in the rear of our encampment."

            Cheers,
            Todd Post, Event Coordinator
            Battle of Green Spring
            www.battleofgreenspring.org

            On May 18, 2006, at 3:37 PM, W. Moyer wrote:

            > Dear Lee,
            >
            > You are quite correct that the group has been quiet for much to long.
            >
            > As for events my husband and I are planning on setting up medical
            > (we do not play surgeon but physician/pox) at Green Spring in July.
            > We would love to have anyone who would like join us to do so. It
            > appears they are going to place us away from the camp in some
            > fashion (which is fine as long as we are not in Timbuktu) and it is
            > very pleasant to have several together to present) We will be
            > doing other events also but have not thought ahead that far.
            >
            > I have been busy learning many things over the Barracks at Trenton
            > (volunteering there) and have spent a great deal of time in the
            > surgical rooms in first person.
            >
            > YH&OBS,
            >
            > Wendy
            > 5th PA Regiment
            > List owner for Rev War Buy Sell Swap
            >
            > Providing sewing services for woman.
            > Alterations & New Items at reasonable prices..
            > Packages & Payment Plans for any budget!
            > Get started in reenactment with the correct outfit
            > for less then $200
            > Visit my updated web page at
            > http://www.geocities.com/wendysdolls/18thCenturySewing.html
            >

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            > Visit your group "Physick18C" on the web.

          • Todd Post
            Message 5 of 8 , May 18, 2006
              Tom,

              Something that has been discussed, but is by no means firm, was the
              idea of setting up a full-blown hospital at Endview Plantation during
              the Yorktown event. Endview is a co-sponsoring site in the event,
              and will host the "battles" Friday and Saturday while the pageantry
              and camps will be at the NPS site. Since hospitals were generally
              removed from the "front lines", the thought was that the medical
              staff and civilians could have center stage at the site. The only
              catch is that transportation would be required to/from the NPS site,
              but the idea was that Endview would be closed during the NPS
              activities anyway (so no one would miss anything) and there will be
              transportation around the sites.

              Again, this is merely an idea at this stage. Any thoughts?

              Cheers,
              Todd

              On May 18, 2006, at 4:38 PM, Thomas Jena wrote:

              > Lee,
              > The good Churgien Hill and I are preparing for Vincennes next
              > weekend (Memorial Day). We don't normally set up his display
              > but.................... For any on the list attending Yorktown in
              > October, we are planning on being there and would love to put faces
              > with names (as we are carpooling will not be bringing the surgical
              > gear).
              > Oops, gotta go.............about to begin having puppies.
              > Tom J.
              > Surg Mate
              > Culpeper Min Batt
            • William Lee Davis
              Message 6 of 8 , May 19, 2006
                Dear Lee & list--Last fall I was appointed as surgeon on the "virtual"
                mid 18th c. ship HMS Squirrel. Since then I have been working on a
                nautical rather than an army slant on my presentation. I have
                developed naval credentials (surgeon's Hall certificate, naval
                warrant), made two sets of cased Royal Navy instruments, and restored
                an early 19th c. or late 18th c. apothecary box. I also have made a
                set of 18th c. hernia trusses (lots of ruptures in the navy with
                heaving & straining and lots of constipation), and a fracture box. I
                will debut the whole kit along with my new seagoing duds at Ft.
                Frederick, MD this Memorial Day weekend. I also plan to be at Yorktown
                in the fall. Take Care, Lee Davis, Surgeon, HMS Squirrel
              • Charlie Q
                Message 7 of 8 , May 19, 2006
                  Sounds interesting indeed...make sure to take pictures!
                  Charlie Q
                  aka "Doc" Q,
                  Ships Surgeon (Ships Company)
                  Garrison Surgeon (Ft. McHenry)

                  William Lee Davis <wartman@...> wrote:
                  Dear Lee & list--Last fall I was appointed as surgeon on the "virtual"
                  mid 18th c. ship HMS Squirrel.  Since then I have been working on a
                  nautical rather than an army slant on my presentation.  I have
                  developed naval credentials (surgeon's Hall certificate, naval
                  warrant), made two sets of cased Royal Navy instruments, and restored
                  an early 19th c. or late 18th c. apothecary box.  I also have made a
                  set of 18th c. hernia trusses (lots of ruptures in the navy with
                  heaving & straining and lots of constipation), and a fracture box.  I
                  will debut the whole kit along with my new seagoing duds at Ft.
                  Frederick, MD this Memorial Day weekend.  I also plan to be at Yorktown
                  in the fall.  Take Care, Lee Davis, Surgeon, HMS Squirrel

                • Rick Stickle
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 21, 2006
                    > I will debut the whole kit along with my new seagoing duds at Ft.
                    >Frederick, MD this Memorial Day weekend. I also plan to be at Yorktown
                    >in the fall. Take Care, Lee Davis, Surgeon, HMS Squirrel

                    Lee,

                    I plan on being up there with the Maryland Militia (not medical).
                    I'll have to come find you and see the new setup. Probably won't be
                    that many Naval folks there.

                    Rick Stickle
                    HM Detached Hospital