Re: LIGHTING

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hi Dacnana,
      Ok, since no one answered your question, I figure either they don't
      know or didn't want to look foolish. Well, I will tell you what I
      have used, that worked. Those are the important words; "that
      worked." It was not fancy or high tech but the people liked the
      pictures. I used three lights and turned off the flash.

      One was on the right about the subjects head height and was a single
      incandescent bulb with a hood. I think it was 150 watt.

      The second was on the left at about 6 ft high also a single
      incandescent bulb 150 watts. I had to adjust height and distance to
      reduce shadows and to keep it less intense than the primary light.

      Finally I had a floor mounted flood light set behind the subjects on
      the floor facing up towards the back drop. I think this was also a
      150 watt incandescent bulb. I had to set my camera to incandescent
      light.

      We used a number of different height stools that helped with
      positioning the families. In total I think we shot 40 or 45 singles
      or family shots. That was about 2 years ago. If I were to do it
      again today, I would use the same lights, but I would taken a picture
      of a white sheet of paper to fix "white." Although I fixed the color
      variances in post, it was more work that I want to do again. Also I
      would have spend a little more money and got a bigger background. In
      a few shots the edge showed and again I had to fix it in post. The
      time I spent I could have gotten a much better background and used it
      in other applications.

      I cannot help you with green screen, except to say it is important to
      have as even lighting as possible. When you go to mask out the
      background, the greater the shades of green, the more chance there is
      of removing some of your subject.

      If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Let us know what
      you finally do.

      Steve Broesder
      Forsyth Computer Club

      www.tagworld.com/SteveBroesder

      http://www.squareonegraphics.com/CorelZone.html
      Live Corel Draw and Corel Photo Paint training (free)

      www.FredLewisPhotos.com