Re: Route on Mindoro

  • jovanpuyo
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2007
      Hi Gerd,

      I asked my friends from the Batangas Mountain Bikers who also bike in
      Mindoro what's the best route, and they suggested your option number
      one. They said that it may be a longer bike trip.

      Good luck and take lots of pictures!

      Jovan

      --- In PhilippineCyclingNetwork@yahoogroups.com, "gerd_caarls"
      <gerd.caarls@...> wrote:

      > In a few weeks I will be going from Puerto Galera to Panay. On my
      > bicycle of course.
      >
      > I see three possible routes:
      >
      > 1. To Calapan and then along the coast (Naujan, Pola, Gloria, Bansud,
      > Bongabong) to Roxas. And the ferry from there.
      >
      > 2. To Calapan and then the more inland roads (Victoria, Socorro, etc.)
      > to Roxas. And the ferry from there.
      >
      > 3. To Calapan and then from Victoria across the island to Sablayan.
      > Then along the westcoast to San Jose and the ferry from there.
      >
      > Who can you help me choose the best (scenic and not to busy) route?
      >
      > Gerd

    • Elvin Aquino
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2007
        Gerd,

        I've been to most of the places you've mentioned some five or six years back
        so a lot may have already changed from then. Plus I was on a four-wheeled
        vehicle so my point of view maybe different. =)

        If I recall correctly, the two towns between Puerto Galera and Calapan
        City (San Teodoro and Baco) are nests to rebel insurgents, which explains
        that for the longest time the roads passing through these two towns have
        never been developed. So if you have local contacts in Oriental Mindoro, I
        suggest you confirm if it safe to pass through these two towns.

        From what I recall, among the routes you've presented below, it seems that
        only option 2 is viable, here are my comments:

        Option 1: I'm not sure if there is a route connecting Naujan to Pola, maybe
        somebody here in this forum can enlighten you further on this.

        Option 3: There are mountain ranges in between Oriental and Occidental
        Mindoro, that's why Occidental is not easily accessible from Oriental and
        vice versa. If you are looking at a map, I personally don't know what
        kind of road is the road that connects Victoria (Oriental) to Sablayan
        (Occidental). (Does the road still exist?) Plus, the ferry to Panay takes
        off from Roxas in Oriental Mindoro, why cross to the other side and back?

        I think option 2 is scenic enough, highest points would be in Victoria and
        Socorro, plus there will be a point where the road system will be
        overlooking the Naujan Lake. The drive from Calapan to Roxas is about an
        hour by car, I'm not sure how long it'll take by bike though. Your option 2
        will be through the major thoroughfare, but it's not that busy at all. In
        this case, from the point of view of security, I think busy equates to
        safety.

        Waiver: I am not a native of Mindoro and what I'm sharing with you are based
        on my experiences from several travels on that island province several years
        back. Some people in this forum may be able to share more up-to-date
        information with you. I suggest you collate, analyze, and validate all the
        information you will gather.

        Safe rides and regards,

        Elvin

        On 1/4/07, gerd_caarls <gerd.caarls@...> wrote:

        > In a few weeks I will be going from Puerto Galera to Panay. On my
        > bicycle of course.
        >
        > I see three possible routes:
        >
        > 1. To Calapan and then along the coast (Naujan, Pola, Gloria, Bansud,
        > Bongabong) to Roxas. And the ferry from there.
        >
        > 2. To Calapan and then the more inland roads (Victoria, Socorro, etc.)
        > to Roxas. And the ferry from there.
        >
        > 3. To Calapan and then from Victoria across the island to Sablayan.
        > Then along the westcoast to San Jose and the ferry from there.
        >
        > Who can you help me choose the best (scenic and not to busy) route?
        >
        > Gerd

      • Bomboy L
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
          ger,

          a year ago, i drove from a Manila to Boracay, taking the Manila-Batangas City-Calapan-Roxas-Caticlan route.
          the roads were either asphalt or concrete all the way. didn't notice any big potholes or road problems. calapan to roxas is approx 120kms, mostly flat with some rolling portions, with an uphill mountiain portion as you cross - over (you overlook lake naujan) to the Roxas side. Very bikeable.

          warning though, the Buses that ply the Calapan Roxas route run so fast bordering to reckless driving so be careful.

          again, things may have changed so do ask around about current road and security conditions in these areas.

          Safe ride!

          Bomboy

          Gerd,

          I've been to most of the places you've mentioned some five or six years back
          so a lot may have already changed from then. Plus I was on a four-wheeled
          vehicle so my point of view maybe different. =)

          If I recall correctly, the two towns between Puerto Galera and Calapan
          City (San Teodoro and Baco) are nests to rebel insurgents, which explains
          that for the longest time the roads passing through these two towns have
          never been developed. So if you have local contacts in Oriental Mindoro, I
          suggest you confirm if it safe to pass through these two towns.

          From what I recall, among the routes you've presented below, it seems that
          only option 2 is viable, here are my comments:

          Option 1: I'm not sure if there is a route connecting Naujan to Pola, maybe
          somebody here in this forum can enlighten you further on this.

          Option 3: There are mountain ranges in between Oriental and Occidental
          Mindoro, that's why Occidental is not easily accessible from Oriental and
          vice versa. If you are looking at a map, I personally don't know what
          kind of road is the road that connects Victoria (Oriental) to Sablayan
          (Occidental). (Does the road still exist?) Plus, the ferry to Panay takes
          off from Roxas in Oriental Mindoro, why cross to the other side and back?

          I think option 2 is scenic enough, highest points would be in Victoria and
          Socorro, plus there will be a point where the road system will be
          overlooking the Naujan Lake. The drive from Calapan to Roxas is about an
          hour by car, I'm not sure how long it'll take by bike though. Your option 2
          will be through the major thoroughfare, but it's not that busy at all. In
          this case, from the point of view of security, I think busy equates to
          safety.

          Waiver: I am not a native of Mindoro and what I'm sharing with you are based
          on my experiences from several travels on that island province several years
          back. Some people in this forum may be able to share more up-to-date
          information with you. I suggest you collate, analyze, and validate all the
          information you will gather.

          Safe rides and regards,

          Elvin

          On 1/4/07, gerd_caarls <gerd.caarls@...> wrote:

          > In a few weeks I will be going from Puerto Galera to Panay. On my
          > bicycle of course.
          >
          > I see three possible routes:
          >
          > 1. To Calapan and then along the coast (Naujan, Pola, Gloria, Bansud,
          > Bongabong) to Roxas. And the ferry from there.
          >
          > 2. To Calapan and then the more inland roads (Victoria, Socorro, etc.)
          > to Roxas. And the ferry from there.
          >
          > 3. To Calapan and then from Victoria across the island to Sablayan.
          > Then along the westcoast to San Jose and the ferry from there.
          >
          > Who can you help me choose the best (scenic and not to busy) route?
          >
          > Gerd

        • gerd_caarls
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2007
            Thanks all for the information.
            Elvin, I didn't hear or read anywhere that there is still rebel
            activity along the road between Puerto Galera and Calapan. On the other
            hand everybody agrees that this is a nice and scenic road.
            According to my map from the Philippines (Reise Know-How Verlag, 2006,
            1:1.200.000) there is a road between Naujan and Pola. When I'm in
            Puerto Galera, I will try to get a more detailed map from Mindoro.
            Gerd
          • Elvin Aquino
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2007
              Gee, I think I also need to get myself a new map. =) Anyway, it's also good
              to hear that there are no rebel activities at this time at the towns of Baco
              and San Teodoro because that has been a problem of the provincial government
              for some time already.

              Good luck on your trip and stay safe.

              Elvin