521Science and Meditation 1: Talking to Ourselves

  • Petros
    Jan 19 1:04 AM
      1. "The internal sensory world of the human organism is as actively transduced as is the external sensory environment. The number of neurons acting as receptor cells for the transduction of internal stimulus events far exceeds the number of receptor cells devoted exclusively to external energy source transduction."

      -- from Consciousness in Four Dimensions: Biological Relativity and the Origins of Thought by Richard M. Pico, Ph.D., M.D.

      2. "While many nerve cells link us to the outside world by mediating sensation and movement, the majority of neurons communicate only with other neurons. Indeed, the brain is much more in touch with itself than with anything else."

      -- from Brainscapes: An Introduction to What Neuroscience has Learned about the Structure, Function, and Abilities of the Brain by Richard Restak M.D.

      In short, what these scientists seem to be saying is that we (via our brains) spend most of our time talking to ourselves!