513Self-observation (Gurdjieff)

  • Petros
    Mar 2, 2006
      "For one who desires to study human mechanicality in general and to make it clear to himself, the very best object of study is he himself with his own mechanicality; and to study this practically and to understand it sensibly, with all one's being, and not 'psychopathically,' that is, with only one part of one's entire presence, is possible only as a result of correctly conducted self-observation. And as regards this possibility of correctly conducting self-observation and conducting it without the risk of incurring the maleficent consequences which have more than once been observed from people's attempts to do this without proper knowledge, it is necessary that the warning must be given -- in order to avoid the possibility of excessive zeal -- that our experience, based on the vast exact information we have, has shown that this is not so simple a thing as at first glance it may appear. This is why we make the study of the mechanicality of contemporary man the groundwork of a correctly conducted self-observation."

      from: All and Everything, First Series: An Objectively Impartial Criticism of the Life of Man p.1209