Re: [Peterhead] Seaman's Tickets

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2000
      For Pat & others

      thepatch wrote:

      Could Wade, or anyone please tell me whether or not LDS FHL has on microfilm an index of names and ticket numbers for Merchant Seamen.  If so, would appreciate Film number.
      Yes the LDS have filmed Merchant Marine records.  Register of seamen's tickets, 1845-1854 (BT 113) and the alphabetical register (BT 114) have both been filmed.

      If you know the ticket number already, then you can order the film that covers that ticket.  Otherwise you need to order the surname index to get the ticket number first.

      To get the film number for these records and other merchant marine records, then you need to look at the LDS locality catalogue under Great Britain, Merchant Marine or go to the LDS web page.  The LDS are now selling the catalogue on CD-ROM.

      For anyone interested in merchant marine ancestors then a must book to have and/or read is "My Ancestor was a Merchant Seaman" or the new edition "Records of Merchant Shipping and Seamen".

      If you are having any problems getting the films numbers, then let me know what the surname you are after and I will let you know the film numbers.