Re: [Peterhead] Re:1825/26 Pigot Directory

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2000
      Hi Alison,

      Alison Anderson wrote:

      I got the details, which I sent to the List, from a visit some time ago to Aberdeen City Library, when I took a photo-copy of the Peterhead pages of the 1825/26 Pigot Directory.

      Thank you for this information.  I hope to put up some new web pages soon.

      Regards, Wade.

    • Alison Anderson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28, 2000
        Hi Wade,

        My apologies for the delay in replying, but I needed to check the details.

        I got the details, which I sent to the List, from a visit some time ago to Aberdeen City Library, when I took a photo-copy of the Peterhead pages of the 1825/26 Pigot Directory.

        The book was published in 1825 (long before ISBN were thought of).  The full title was "Pigot & Co.'s New Commercial Directory for Scotland for 1825/6".  The book was published by J. Pigot & Co.,  at the directory offices 24, Basing-lane, London, and 16, Fountain-street, Manchester.

        There were various directories published over the years.  I sent the details of the 1825/26 Directory to the Peterhead List as I know that I found it to be of interest and wondered if it would help others.  (It was also relatively short so it didn't take too long to input the details).  Other directories included the Aberdeen Directory which covered the years 1824/25 (Vol. 1) through to 1982/83 (Vol. 154), although this was mainly for Aberdeen City there were a few years when it contained details of the county.  I have a photo-copy of the directory pages/index for Peterhead from the 1846/47 edition, when shipmasters even had the name of their ships included.  Please forgive my reluctance to send this one to the List, but by this time the population of Peterhead had grown somewhat!  The Aberdeen Directory was published by the Post Office.

        The Aberdeen City Library also had copies of a book titled "The Peterhead Almanac and Buchan Directory".  One was dated 1864 and the other 1865.  I'm afraid I forgot to check who published this one, it may have been the Post Office.  (Again this was before ISBN's were thought of.)  I don't know whether just the two copies were the only ones printed or whether there had been more and these were the only two to survive.  I have a photo-copy of the directory pages/index of the 1864 edition.

        Hope the above is of some assistance.

        Alison