Re: [Peterhead] Digest Number 350

  • William Leslie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23, 2000
      Hello Allison;
      Thanks for the Peterhead Directory of 1825. Is there any further information in this directory, or is there any way of following up on names listed. Under Coopers, the Leslies, John and Peter, are probably ancestors of mine.
      Regards
      William Leslie

      Peterhead@egroups.com wrote:

> [...]
      > Daniel Al. Kirktown
      > Fraser Donald, Jamaica-st
      > Jaffray Jas. (hotel) Maiden-st
      > Jamieson Benj. Tolbooth-wynd
      > McLeod John, North-shore
      > Milne Jas. North-shore
      > Newbond John, James-st
      > Robertson Jos. Keith-Inch
      > Thom Jas. James'-st
      > Thomson And. North-st
      > Wilson David, Broad-st
      > Young And. South-shore
      >
      > TEACHERS.
      > Brown Arch. Backgate
      > Davidson John, Society-close
      > Smith John, Town-house
      >
      > TIN PLATE WORKERS.
      > Annand John, South-shore
      > Ledengham Jas. (and coppersmith) Marischal-st
      > White Al. Broad-st
      >
      > TURNERS.
      > Robertson Al. Long-gate
      > Webster Jas. Marischal-st
      >
      > WATCH & CLOCK MAKERS.
      > Blaik Jas. Rose-st
      > Johnston John, Broad-st
      > King Alex. Rose-st
      >
      > WRITERS & NOTARIES.
      > Alexander Wm. Broad-st
      > Gamack Wm. Jamaica-st
      > Gray Rodk. Jamaica-st
      > Robertson Robt. Jamaica-st
      >
      > Miscellaneous.
      > Alexander Gilbert, jun. oak timber dealer, Windmill-st
      > Angus George, silversmith, Jamaica-st
      > Bleak James and Co. hatters, Rose-st
      > Boyd Wm. plasterer, Charlotte-st
      > Brand Misses, straw hat makers, Maiden-lane
      > Brown thos. nailor, Keith-Inch
      > Buchan peter, letter press printer, Long-gate
      > Couper Wm. town drummer, Tolbooth-wynd
      > Cruickshank James, stone cutter, Windmill-st
      > Duncan Andrew, stonemason, Maiden-lane
      > Forsyth Walter, leather dealer, Broad-st
      > Hay W. sheriff's officer, Broad-st
      > Morice John,dyer, Kirktown
      > Murray Alex. and Co. distillers, Kirktown
      > Rhind Jas. confectioner, Rose-st
      > Wight Jn. millwright, Kirktown
      >
      > CUSTOM HOUSE.
      > Douglas Leslie, surveyor and principal coast officer
      > Peter Douglas, collector and land waiter
      > John Crighton, coast waiter
      > Robt. Herriot, tide waiter
      > Andrew Doyle, tide waiter
      > Jas. Skelton, harbour master
      >
      > EXCISE OFFICE.
      > Jas. Cruickshank supervisor
      > Peter Milne and A. Watt, officers
      >
      > POLICE OFFICE.
      > Robt. Gray, preses
      > Wm. Gamack, treasurer
      > Andrew Boyd, secretary
      > James Knox, constable
      >
      > STAMP OFFICE.
      > J. Anderson, distributor, Jamaica-st
      >
      > COACHES.
      > ABERDEEN, the Royal Mail from Donald Fraser's, every morning at a quarter past ten, and returns in the evening at a quarter before nine.
      > ABERDEEN, the Earl of Errol, from Jaffray's hotel, every morning at 6, and returns in the evening at half-past eight.
      >
      > CARRIERS.
      > ABERDEEN, Anderson & May, from Tolbooth-wynd every Tuesday and Friday.

    • Alison Anderson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 24, 2000
        Hi,

        I'm sorry, but unfortunately the information that I submitted is exactly how
        (including spelling) the original entry reads, and there is no further
        information on any of the individuals.

        The following Leslie's appear in the Peterhead pages of the County Section
        of the Aberdeen Directory dated 1846/47 (again exactly as the entry reads).

        Leslie, John, fishcurer, Jamaica street
        Leslie, Thomas, bookseller, Kirk street
        Leslie, William, cooper, Harbour street

        I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.