Loss of "Oscar"

  • malcolm.simpson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2000
      To Alex.Richie.
      Hi Alex,
              Thanks for your message.The loss of the "Oscar" is mentioned in the "Aberdeen Journal" 7th.April 1813, in Basil Lubbocks "Arctic Whalers" but the best account is David Dobson's "Tales of the Whalers".All the crew are listed.Buried in Nigg Churchyard from Peterhead are James and Thomas Sangster both 19, seamen, James Christie,21, seaman and George MacDonald,27, landsman.Buried elsewhere are George and Alex.Buchan,James Catto,18,seaman and Thomas Greig,25, seaman.The only other Newbugh man was John Henderson,21,linesman buried in Newburgh Churchyard where there is an epitaph erected by his son. I don't know where the Innes lair is but there is mentioned a stone erected by his widow Ann Mitchell and the Newburgh Burial records should give a postion.
      I shall try for a will of George Simpson sometime or have some one look for me.
      Thanks for the advice.
      Hope you find this information useful.
      Best Regards, Malcolm Simpson.