RE: [Peterhead] William Penny

  • Liz Tregonning
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2000
      Hi Malcolm,
      You probably know that the Peterhead site has a list of whaling returns (season's catch)
      from 1788 - 1852, showing each ship and Master for each year.
      I don't know where you live, but your local library should be able to send for any microfilm
      of any newspaper you want to see. (I have done this in Glasgow, and Buckinghamshire.)
      They send for them from the Colindale Newspaper Library in N. London, which is quite an
      experience to visit personally, but they do make a charge and you have to go to the library
      premises to view it. However, each film has several years on each reel, so it's worth
      doing. The best newspapers would be the Peterhead Sentinel and the Aberdeen Herald,
      but if you are looking for info on your Dundee whalers then try the Dundee Advertiser.
      Yes, I have seen the 'Leopard' article. I think the magazine is still being published ....
      any 'listener' in Peterhead will confirm ??
      Cheers, Liz Tregonning