Quarries

  • Betty Miles
    Message 1 of 3 , May 17 12:49 PM
      I was interested to see the comments of people who have visited
      Peterhead, something I hope to do also someday. In the meantime, I
      noticed that someone mentioned the old quarries, and I wonder if anyone
      can provide a bit of history about them. I have an ancestor who came
      from England and worked in one of the quarries in the early 19th
      century.

      Betty
    • Alex Ritchie
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2001
        For Betty Miles :

        Betty,
        The largest quarries in the area were around Boddam, just south of Peterhead (Still in Peterhead Parish). There they quarried the famous red Peterhead granite. They may well have attracted people from other areas with the relevant skills.
        I do know that a significant number of quarriers from Boddam emigrated to Vermont to work in the quarries there. Particularly around Barre, Vermont.
        I guess this is not a lot of help to you.
        Best Regards................................................Alex Ritchie

      • olorosoo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2001
          Alex
          Betty

          I found an interesting contemporary account (link below) with a picture about
          the Stirlinghill quarry which seems to have used convict, presumably as well
          as other, labour in extracting the stone for the building of the breakwater
          and the prison itself. The prison is still there of course, an imposing
          structure, housing about 300 men.

          http://www.fraserburgh.org.uk/History/buchanline/hmp/Heritage-Web-Site/Hndout-

          text-HTML/Quarry/Quarry%20Intro.htm

          Fiona Hird