Re: [Peterhead] Peterhead visit

  • William Leslie
    Message 1 of 6 , May 17, 2000
      Hello Arthur;
      I also visited Peterhead for the first time in 1995, and have been back twice since.  I long to go there again, and just roam around the town and the countryside.  My father and many generations of grandparents came from there, and I am still researching my ggg grandfather, John Leslie who was from Longside.
      My father lived at 3 Roanheads, just a few yards from the sea, and I long to see the thirty foot wave breaking over the wall at the end of that street.  Each time I went there, it was sunny, and the sea was as calm as a sheet of ice.
      Regards
      William Leslie, Canada

      Arthur wrote:

      Hi,

      It is so nice to hear about people abroad who come over to here and say how
      much they enjoyed it! It really does make us who live here proud that we
      live here and that how lucky we are to be living here. I msyelf actually
      don't live in Peterhead, but reletavily near at a place called Kinellar. It
      never ceases to amaze me at how many people, especially from the USA, are
      actively looking for past relatives and their heritage. (I receive these on
      my list all the time, I'll put a link to it below if anyone is interested).
      I think the letters that I have read from people on various lists all say
      the same in that we are doing these people proud and, I hope, live up to
      their expectations. I hope that you all manage to visit at leats once and
      find your true roots and heritage. (Just don't look for a toilet around
      here now though, as Aberdeenshire Council has closed nearly all of them!)

      Yours aye,

      Arthur

      Link to my list;-
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe/scotland
      Ot e-mail: scotland-subscribe@egroups.com

      Arthur Frederick Edwards
      Web: http://www.AFEdwards.co.uk E-Mail: Arthur@...
      Tel: +44 (0)7050 666 298 Fax: +44 (0)7050 666 302

      The information in this e-mail and any attachments are confidential and are
      intended for the named addressee(s) only and may be legally privileged. If
      you are not the intended recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution or
      any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and
      may be unlawful. Please destroy it and contact the sender via return.
      ©Copyright 2000, All rights reserved.

    • Keith Duncan
      Message 2 of 6 , May 17, 2000
        I had a quiet laugh to myself when you said it was sunny and calm.
        I took my wife up to the Bloo Toon 3 yrs ago - it was February and we
        couldn't have chosen a worse day! - 40 foot high waves coming crashing
        in over the breakwater. I was alright - being accustomed to the weather
        there - you get used to after 15 years or so! - but my wife had never
        experienced anything like it, turning against the wind to catch her
        breath.

        btw - you are no relation of the Leslies who own the fruiterers shop in
        PHD?
        Keith Duncan, UK

        William Leslie wrote:

        > Hello Arthur;
        > I also visited Peterhead for the first time in 1995, and have been
        > back twice since. I long to go there again, and just roam around the
        > town and the countryside. My father and many generations of
        > grandparents came from there, and I am still researching my ggg
        > grandfather, John Leslie who was from Longside.
        > My father lived at 3 Roanheads, just a few yards from the sea, and I
        > long to see the thirty foot wave breaking over the wall at the end of
        > that street. Each time I went there, it was sunny, and the sea was as
        > calm as a sheet of ice.
        > Regards
        > William Leslie, Canada
      • William Leslie
        Message 3 of 6 , May 17, 2000
          Hello Keith;
          I long to see those 40 foot waves.  No, I have no Leslie relatives in Peterhead at the moment, but Huchisons, Smiths, Woolners and Davidsons.
          Regards
          William Leslie