Re: [Peterhead] Peterhead visit

  • Wilson Family
    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2000
      At 06:45 15/05/2000 -0500, Niles & Becchi wrote:
      > & It was great! Becchi Oesterle

      Hi everyone,

      I'd happily endorse Becchi's comments. I was able to visit Peterhead last
      year for 2 days. I was fortunate to stay with people other members of my
      family had contacted over the years (through the Brethren meeting!) and
      they were wonderful at taking me around. However, I also found that the
      people at the Arbuthnot Library and Museum were really helpful, and my
      brother and my cousin have found that perfect strangers were happy to give
      information too (eg when met near cemeteries etc).

      As my great grandmother came from Cruden (actually a farm nearer
      Peterhead), we drove there a couple of times - the Bullers of Buchan and
      other parts are pretty amazing coastal scenery. In fact, although it was
      foggy with patches of sunshine, I thought even Peterhead had its own
      attraction - especially the bay. This was in contrast to the guide on
      Scotland which said "if you have a penchant for baked beans factories and
      nuclear power stations then Peterhead is the place for you" and mentioned
      "rusted fishing boats leaking into the oily water". Not exactly a tourism
      advertisement. Probably because of this, and the fact that North Sea oil
      and fishing have kept it reasonably prosperous, there is very little
      obvious accommodation (none advertised in the guide), but my brother did
      find a B&B.

      With help from the census returns on microfiche, my grandfather's
      reminiscences of his mother's stories, an Ordnance Survey map, my wonderful
      hosts, and the next door neighbour who had lived there since the 1930s, we
      found my great great grandparents' farm. How on earth they scratched a
      living I don't know - very rocky soil, swept by North Sea winds! No wonder
      they all left for all corners of the globe, as this list testifies.

      Talking about people who left, I can't remember if I have mentioned before
      (forgive me if so) that the media magnate Rupert Murdoch's grandparents
      came from Cruden - he was a Presbyterian minister and they emigrated to
      Melbourne in the 1880s. I believe his wife taught my great grandmother in
      Sunday School. Rupert's mother Dame Elisabeth still lives at the family
      home called Cruden on the Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne. Do we have
      any other famous connections to this corner of Scotland?

      Anyway best wishes to anyone fortunate enough to be contemplating a visit.
      I trust to return some day - another cousin is going later this year.
      Funny how it tugs at our imaginations over the generations.

      Elisabeth Wilson
      researching GORDON YOUNG GIBB SPENCE
    • Arthur
      Message 2 of 6 , May 17, 2000
        Hi,

        It is so nice to hear about people abroad who come over to here and say how
        much they enjoyed it! It really does make us who live here proud that we
        live here and that how lucky we are to be living here. I msyelf actually
        don't live in Peterhead, but reletavily near at a place called Kinellar. It
        never ceases to amaze me at how many people, especially from the USA, are
        actively looking for past relatives and their heritage. (I receive these on
        my list all the time, I'll put a link to it below if anyone is interested).
        I think the letters that I have read from people on various lists all say
        the same in that we are doing these people proud and, I hope, live up to
        their expectations. I hope that you all manage to visit at leats once and
        find your true roots and heritage. (Just don't look for a toilet around
        here now though, as Aberdeenshire Council has closed nearly all of them!)

        Yours aye,

        Arthur

        Link to my list;-
        http://www.egroups.com/subscribe/scotland
        Ot e-mail: scotland-subscribe@egroups.com

        Arthur Frederick Edwards
        Web: http://www.AFEdwards.co.uk E-Mail: Arthur@...
        Tel: +44 (0)7050 666 298 Fax: +44 (0)7050 666 302

        The information in this e-mail and any attachments are confidential and are
        intended for the named addressee(s) only and may be legally privileged. If
        you are not the intended recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution or
        any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and
        may be unlawful. Please destroy it and contact the sender via return.
        ┬ęCopyright 2000, All rights reserved.
      • William Leslie
        Message 3 of 6 , May 17, 2000
          Hello Arthur;
          I also visited Peterhead for the first time in 1995, and have been back twice since.  I long to go there again, and just roam around the town and the countryside.  My father and many generations of grandparents came from there, and I am still researching my ggg grandfather, John Leslie who was from Longside.
          My father lived at 3 Roanheads, just a few yards from the sea, and I long to see the thirty foot wave breaking over the wall at the end of that street.  Each time I went there, it was sunny, and the sea was as calm as a sheet of ice.
          Regards
          William Leslie, Canada

          Arthur wrote:

[...]

        • Keith Duncan
          Message 4 of 6 , May 17, 2000
            I had a quiet laugh to myself when you said it was sunny and calm.
            I took my wife up to the Bloo Toon 3 yrs ago - it was February and we
            couldn't have chosen a worse day! - 40 foot high waves coming crashing
            in over the breakwater. I was alright - being accustomed to the weather
            there - you get used to after 15 years or so! - but my wife had never
            experienced anything like it, turning against the wind to catch her
            breath.

            btw - you are no relation of the Leslies who own the fruiterers shop in
            PHD?
            Keith Duncan, UK

            William Leslie wrote:

            > Hello Arthur;
            > I also visited Peterhead for the first time in 1995, and have been
            > back twice since. I long to go there again, and just roam around the
            > town and the countryside. My father and many generations of
            > grandparents came from there, and I am still researching my ggg
            > grandfather, John Leslie who was from Longside.
            > My father lived at 3 Roanheads, just a few yards from the sea, and I
            > long to see the thirty foot wave breaking over the wall at the end of
            > that street. Each time I went there, it was sunny, and the sea was as
            > calm as a sheet of ice.
            > Regards
            > William Leslie, Canada
          • William Leslie
            Message 5 of 6 , May 17, 2000
              Hello Keith;
              I long to see those 40 foot waves.  No, I have no Leslie relatives in Peterhead at the moment, but Huchisons, Smiths, Woolners and Davidsons.
              Regards
              William Leslie