Peterhead visit

  • Niles & Becchi
    Message 1 of 6 , May 15, 2000
      I just wanted to pass along to the Peterhead listers that I have just returned from a trip to England/Scotland and got to spend 3 days in Peterhead.  It was absolutely wonderful.  I met 3rd & 4th cousins that I had found through genealogy research and got to see where my great grandparents lived, worked and played in the late 1800s.  We had an unprecedented 3 days of blue skies!  We got to tour the fish market, harbour, the old granite quarries and cemeteries.  If anyone gets a chance to go to Peterhead, take the time to do it!  It was great!

      Becchi Oesterle
      descendant of the Cordiners of Boddam & Peterhead
    • Wilson Family
      Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2000
        At 06:45 15/05/2000 -0500, Niles & Becchi wrote:
        > & It was great! Becchi Oesterle

        Hi everyone,

        I'd happily endorse Becchi's comments. I was able to visit Peterhead last
        year for 2 days. I was fortunate to stay with people other members of my
        family had contacted over the years (through the Brethren meeting!) and
        they were wonderful at taking me around. However, I also found that the
        people at the Arbuthnot Library and Museum were really helpful, and my
        brother and my cousin have found that perfect strangers were happy to give
        information too (eg when met near cemeteries etc).

        As my great grandmother came from Cruden (actually a farm nearer
        Peterhead), we drove there a couple of times - the Bullers of Buchan and
        other parts are pretty amazing coastal scenery. In fact, although it was
        foggy with patches of sunshine, I thought even Peterhead had its own
        attraction - especially the bay. This was in contrast to the guide on
        Scotland which said "if you have a penchant for baked beans factories and
        nuclear power stations then Peterhead is the place for you" and mentioned
        "rusted fishing boats leaking into the oily water". Not exactly a tourism
        advertisement. Probably because of this, and the fact that North Sea oil
        and fishing have kept it reasonably prosperous, there is very little
        obvious accommodation (none advertised in the guide), but my brother did
        find a B&B.

        With help from the census returns on microfiche, my grandfather's
        reminiscences of his mother's stories, an Ordnance Survey map, my wonderful
        hosts, and the next door neighbour who had lived there since the 1930s, we
        found my great great grandparents' farm. How on earth they scratched a
        living I don't know - very rocky soil, swept by North Sea winds! No wonder
        they all left for all corners of the globe, as this list testifies.

        Talking about people who left, I can't remember if I have mentioned before
        (forgive me if so) that the media magnate Rupert Murdoch's grandparents
        came from Cruden - he was a Presbyterian minister and they emigrated to
        Melbourne in the 1880s. I believe his wife taught my great grandmother in
        Sunday School. Rupert's mother Dame Elisabeth still lives at the family
        home called Cruden on the Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne. Do we have
        any other famous connections to this corner of Scotland?

        Anyway best wishes to anyone fortunate enough to be contemplating a visit.
        I trust to return some day - another cousin is going later this year.
        Funny how it tugs at our imaginations over the generations.

        Elisabeth Wilson
        researching GORDON YOUNG GIBB SPENCE
      • Arthur
        Message 3 of 6 , May 17, 2000
          Hi,

          It is so nice to hear about people abroad who come over to here and say how
          much they enjoyed it! It really does make us who live here proud that we
          live here and that how lucky we are to be living here. I msyelf actually
          don't live in Peterhead, but reletavily near at a place called Kinellar. It
          never ceases to amaze me at how many people, especially from the USA, are
          actively looking for past relatives and their heritage. (I receive these on
          my list all the time, I'll put a link to it below if anyone is interested).
          I think the letters that I have read from people on various lists all say
          the same in that we are doing these people proud and, I hope, live up to
          their expectations. I hope that you all manage to visit at leats once and
          find your true roots and heritage. (Just don't look for a toilet around
          here now though, as Aberdeenshire Council has closed nearly all of them!)

          Yours aye,

          Arthur

          Link to my list;-
          http://www.egroups.com/subscribe/scotland
          Ot e-mail: scotland-subscribe@egroups.com

          Arthur Frederick Edwards
          Web: http://www.AFEdwards.co.uk E-Mail: Arthur@...
          Tel: +44 (0)7050 666 298 Fax: +44 (0)7050 666 302

          The information in this e-mail and any attachments are confidential and are
          intended for the named addressee(s) only and may be legally privileged. If
          you are not the intended recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution or
          any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and
          may be unlawful. Please destroy it and contact the sender via return.
          ┬ęCopyright 2000, All rights reserved.
        • William Leslie
          Message 4 of 6 , May 17, 2000
            Hello Arthur;
            I also visited Peterhead for the first time in 1995, and have been back twice since.  I long to go there again, and just roam around the town and the countryside.  My father and many generations of grandparents came from there, and I am still researching my ggg grandfather, John Leslie who was from Longside.
            My father lived at 3 Roanheads, just a few yards from the sea, and I long to see the thirty foot wave breaking over the wall at the end of that street.  Each time I went there, it was sunny, and the sea was as calm as a sheet of ice.
            Regards
            William Leslie, Canada

            Arthur wrote:

[...]

          • Keith Duncan
            Message 5 of 6 , May 17, 2000
              I had a quiet laugh to myself when you said it was sunny and calm.
              I took my wife up to the Bloo Toon 3 yrs ago - it was February and we
              couldn't have chosen a worse day! - 40 foot high waves coming crashing
              in over the breakwater. I was alright - being accustomed to the weather
              there - you get used to after 15 years or so! - but my wife had never
              experienced anything like it, turning against the wind to catch her
              breath.

              btw - you are no relation of the Leslies who own the fruiterers shop in
              PHD?
              Keith Duncan, UK

              William Leslie wrote:

              > Hello Arthur;
              > I also visited Peterhead for the first time in 1995, and have been
              > back twice since. I long to go there again, and just roam around the
              > town and the countryside. My father and many generations of
              > grandparents came from there, and I am still researching my ggg
              > grandfather, John Leslie who was from Longside.
              > My father lived at 3 Roanheads, just a few yards from the sea, and I
              > long to see the thirty foot wave breaking over the wall at the end of
              > that street. Each time I went there, it was sunny, and the sea was as
              > calm as a sheet of ice.
              > Regards
              > William Leslie, Canada
            • William Leslie
              Message 6 of 6 , May 17, 2000
                Hello Keith;
                I long to see those 40 foot waves.  No, I have no Leslie relatives in Peterhead at the moment, but Huchisons, Smiths, Woolners and Davidsons.
                Regards
                William Leslie