Peterhead Churches

  • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3 2:30 PM
      William Diverall b.1831 in Peterhead was inlater life a Methodist Lay
      Preacher in Peterhead. Which/where is or was the Methodist church in
      Peterhead? I have written to Methodist headquaters in England but they
      don't have records of lay preachers. Betty.
    • Alex Ritchie
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2000
        For Lynley Tilbury

        Hi Lynley,
        Ref. your question about two Peterhead Churches.
        The one in the Backgate would be the South Church. It's on the corner of Backgate and Chapel Street. It was originally the United Free South Church. It now no longer functions as a Church of Scotland. THe building is used by an
        Evangelical Church.
        Can't think of any Church at Crooked Lane, at least not in my (or my mother's) time - that stretches back nearly 80 years !! Maybe there was one a VERY long time ago.

        Kindest Regards..............................................Alex Ritchie

      • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 12, 2000
          Alex, I don't know if I ever thanked you for the information you gave me
          some months age re the Peterhead Methodist Church. I contacted the
          Minister who was most helpful and took to the Aberdeen County Archives
          in Aberdeen, some 'bags of old books lying in the manse'. These were old
          minute books of the church from the 1830s to 1950s. The County Archivist
          did find a mention or William Diverall in 1881.[Confirming his position
          as a Methodist lay preacher on the 1881 census] However they pointed out
          that minute books don't usually contain personal information. Betty.
        • Ian and Lyn Tilbury
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 12, 2000
            .>FOR ALEX RITCHIE
            > Hi Alex
            Thanks so much for your reply , this was one of the things i have been
            trying to find out about for sometime
            Peterhead Marriage
            No 53, 13/10/1863 at Backgate , Church of Scotland , Joseph Kean ship
            carpenter, bach, age 23
            Errol Street, parents Robert Kean carter [dead] and Helen Kean ms Scott
            married Ann J. Leslie
            spin, aged 27 Backgate, parents, Alexander Leslie, cooper [dead] and Mary
            Leslie ms Leask
            Witnesses William Leslie and John H Leslie

            So yes well before you time this was 1863 this looks like it was the Leslie
            church with them in the area living
            I wonder when it open and when it closed as a church of scotland if you can
            find out that whould be great
            Now Robert Kean married Christian Yule on the 22 of August 1859 at Crooked
            Lane Church
            That gives you some idea of when there was one in Crooked Lane you may me
            able to find about it now
            Hope you are all well
            Regards Lynley

            > Ref. your question about two Peterhead Churches.
            > The one in the Backgate would be the South Church.
            It's on the corner of Backgate and Chapel Street. It was originally the
            United Free South Church. It now no longer functions as a Church of
            Scotland. THe building is used by an
            > Evangelical Church.
            > Can't think of any Church at Crooked Lane, at least
            not in my (or my mother's) time - that stretches back nearly 80 years !!
            Maybe there was one a VERY long time ago.

            > Kindest