Birnie, Anderson

  • Linda Adam
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2000
      Hello to all on the Peterhead List,

      This is my first posting, however it is a bit of a follow-up from a
      posting my sister had made in 1998 also to this list.

      I would dearly love to obtain information of my maternal Great
      Grandparents, born in Peterhead , and of children born to them.

      My Grandparents are as follows;

      BIRNIE , Andrew Walker born 1879, Peterhead

      married about 1904 in Peterhead

      ANDERSON, Mary Reid born January 24, 1886 , Peterhead

      Andrew Walker Birnie was born into a family of nine sons. His brothers (
      or most of them ) were named Oscar , Thomas , James , Alexander , Joseph
      , William , ? ? .
      I believe that one of the sons was from a previous marriage /
      relationship as his surname was Wedderburn. " Wedderburn " had purchased
      a large home ( in the early 1900's ) located at 27 Prince Street ,
      Peterhead where a number of the Birnie brother's & their spouses &
      children resided. I believe that my Gr Grandparents also lived in the
      house. Thomas never married but owned a pub either in Peterhead or in a
      neighbouring area. Each of the other sons married.

      The given name of " Walker " also may be a connection to a surname in
      the Birnie family line. Unfortunately I have no idea where it may fit
      in.

      Mary Reid Anderson's parents were James Anderson and Mary Ann Greig. To
      my knowledge Mary Ann's father was Alexander Greig , mother ??.
      James & Mary Ann had four children. 1. Andrew b. abt. 1884 d. ?
      2. Mary
      Reid b. Jan. 1886 d. Canada
      3. Lilly
      Stuart b. abt. 1888 d. ?
      4.
      Elizabeth R. b. abt. 1890 d. ?

      It is likely that Mary Ann ( Greig ) Anderson married a second time as
      my mother recalls a John Moir being her Grandfather. I have no
      information about that union or if there were additional children born.

      My Grandparents Andrew Walker & Mary Birnie had 12 children all born in
      Peterhead. All immigrated to Toronto, Canada by 1930 ( with the
      exception of two sons who died in Peterhead ).

      1. Alexander b. 1901 d. 1903 Peterhead
      2. Mary Agnes b. 1905 d. Canada
      3. Elizabeth Anderson b. 1906 d. Canada
      4. Andrew b. 1908 d. 1924 Peterhead
      5. William Spence b. 1910 d. Canada
      6. Alexander Wedderburn b. 1914 d. Canada
      7. Jeannie Sutherland b. 1916 d.
      8. James Anderson b. 1918 d.
      9. Margaret Milne b. 1920 d. Canada
      10 Thomas Smith b. 1923 d. Canada
      11 Ruth b. 1925 d.
      12 Oscar b. 1926 d. Canada

      After all that some of you may wish that I had not joined this list! I
      do have information from a possible connection to a Cheyne family line,
      however until I have my more recent ancestors located I am unable to
      identfy any connection to Cheyne.

      I also am very interested in locating historical information on the home
      at 27 Prince Street. It is still standing ( a rather large , granite
      structure that was apparently used or was to be used as a jail ). My
      searches to locate any documentation as to when the house was built and
      as to the original owners has been fruitless. Any suggestions for that
      search??

      Looking forward to hearing from anyone that can lend a hand or who
      perhaps may have a connection.

      Linda Adam ( Kitchener, Ontario )
    • Rodi Bain
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2000
        Looking for Birnie connections with Rathen.
        --
        Rodi Bain

        Aberdeenshire/Banffshire name lists.

        http://www.bain-1.demon.co.uk