Re: [Peterhead] George Simpson

  • Malcolm Simpson
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2000
      Hi Liz,
      Thanks for your last message.Must say I'm a little disappointed as I
      was hoping for a genealogical breakthrough! However its grand to communicate
      with a descendant of the famous Captain William Penny.
      I did not know George Simpson had been line manager on the "Active" or
      that a John Simpson had been a harpooner on "Active"2. You seem very well up
      on the Arctic whaling trade so I would like to know where your main sources
      of crew matters come from? I've been trying to get in touch with my nearest
      LDS office to see if they have Crew Agreements on film but without success.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      For interest only, the last Simpson to go to the Artic Whaling was
      my Grandfather, Alexander as First Mate on the "Erik" with Alex.Gray in
      1886, apparently the worst voyage of his life.
      Best Wishes, Malcolm.
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 29, 2000
        Hello Alex,
                    This is where the site becomes so helpful. Good to hear from you again.Can't be of much help on the "Ranger".From my records this was her first voyage in 1838 under J.Martin when they took one whale in the Davis Strait.Capt.A.Ogston became master and she was wrecked on a iceberg in 1843.
                The court case to which I referred before was the "Right to Abandoned Cargoes".This was the normal practice of the sea but when George Simpson on the "Traveller" salvaged the cargo of the abandoned Hull whaler "William" in 1830 his owners were sued in court even though the "Traveller" was in the right it went all the way to the Admiralty Court in London before lord Chief Justice Denmam in 1833 where the "Traveller" lost the case.
            Hope you find this of interest.
            George Simpson was supposed to be born in Peterhead in 1797 although I have no proof and would appear to have belonged to the Free Church.
        Best Regards, Malcolm.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2000
          Hi Alex & Malcolm,

          Alex Ritchie wrote:

          In memory of the above George Simpson, sometime master of the Traveller of Peterhead who died at S................  ................. .......... in his 51st. year.
          At Sea?

          Peterhead 1841 Census
          District 10 (at sea), Page 10, Merchant Street
          George Simpson, 40, Shipmaster, Y

          Regards, Wade.

        • malcolm.simpson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2000
            Hi Alex,
                    Delighted you found George Simpson's grave.I had a quick look about four years ago also a visit to Constitution Street cemetry both unsuccessful. However, it brings up more questions?
                I also always assumed he had died at home.He certainly did the voyage in command of the "Traveller" in 1847 but a Capt.A.Ogston took her for the 1848 season. From the Cemetry Dept. records he had lair 387 and 388 and was buried 11th Sept.1848 but his Mother, Margaret Buchan was buried 9th.March 1819 a huge discrepancy. So there's a mystery!
                Jane Innes was his wife from Macduff buried 1876 aged 77.
                    Thanks once more for all your help.
                                                                Malcolm.
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
              Malcolm/Alex

              Have you checked the consulr records for Stettin to see if there is a death certificate. The records should be at the Public Record Office, Kew if they survive. I think Stettin has a more modern name, can't recall it at the moment.