George Simpson

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 29 9:43 AM
      For : Liz Tregonning & Malcolm Simpson

      Hi Folks, I've been "eavesdropping" on your conversation about George Simpson (Malcolm & I have communicated
      on this subject before).

      LIZ : My interest in George Simpson is by way of ancestors of mine named John Martin (Senior & Junior). John
      Martin Senior's wife (Jane Buchan) and George Simpson's mother (Margaret Buchan) were sisters. There was
      another sister (Helen Buchan) who married a Charles Fyfe. Also the Simpsons and the Martins seemed to remain
      very close as families.
             My "John Martins" had no connection (as far as I am aware) with the two Robert Martins who were well known
      whalers. My "John Martins" were both shipmasters......but not whalers.
             However, with your clearly extensive knowledge of Peterhead whaling, I was wondering if you could answer a
      question for me ? It appears that in 1838 the "Ranger" went to the Davis Straits captained by a J.Martin. It's the
      only year I see a J.Martin mentioned. I wondered if this could have been one of my "John Martins" trying his hand
      at whaling.........would you have any idea ?

      MALCOLM :  I was intrigued to see in your note to Liz reference made to "the 1831 Court Case". I am fascinated to know
      what this is all about. Can you tell me ?
                          Talking about George Simpson Senior's father, I was considering another possible "theory" that might
      have helped.  My John Martin Senior came from Newburgh (Parish of Foveran). I wondered if it might be that George
      Simpson's family might also have hailed from there (considering how close the two families were). But I could not get
      a good fit for George Simpson Senior's birth in that Parish (assuming he was, indeed, born in 1790).Of course, the family
      may not have been Presbyterian and his birth may not have been in the Parish Records (The Episcopal Church was very
      strong in the North-East in those days).  What do you think ?

                           Kindest Regards...........................Alex Ritchie
    • Alex Ritchie
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 30, 2000
        For Malcolm Simpson

        Hi Malcolm, I was in Peterhead last week and came across a headstone in the Old Cemetery. It was in poor shape and difficult to read (depending upon the light and direction of the sun). It read :

        Erected by George Simpson in memory of his mother, Margaret Buchan who died on October 21st.1824 aged.......
        Also of his two sons who died in infancy, and William who died ......October aged 10 months.
        Also his daughter Eliza who died ............. aged.................
        In memory of the above George Simpson, sometime master of the Traveller of Peterhead who died at S................  ................. .......... in his 51st. year.
        ..................................................Jane Innes.........................................

        I'm sorry I couldn't make out where George Simpson died. I always thought he had died at home, but obviously not. Do you know about where he died ?
        Alas, no mention of his father !!

        It's a shame that the stone is in such poor condition now.

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 1, 2000
          For Malcolm Simpson (& Wade Buchan)

          Hi Malcolm,
                               Yes, I was delighted to find George Simpson's Headstone (It's actually one of those that lies flat rather than standing up). It's a slate material and is flaking rather badly now. The lettering is pretty faint so don't take as "gospel" what I thought it to be, because I may well have made an error...in fact I have as you point out...with his mother's date of death.
                                The grave I noticed first was that of George Buchan (C389). Same kind of stone and even more faint. It made reference to my elusive John Martin Jnr. whose death I could not find. The stone tells how that John Martin died in the West Indies in 1845. You will recall that John Martin Snr. married Jean Buchan the daughter of George Buchan and sister of Margaret Buchan, George Simpson's mother.
                                It's a strange thing, I have been to that Cemetery many times and must have passed those stones before, but I think the sunlight was just right that evening and the letters just seemed to jump out at me. I took a relative of mine up the next night to show him. However, that night was dull and we could hardly read anything on the two stones.
                                Getting back to George Simpson, I definitely read correctly the part about him dying at.....and then the lettering becomes very faded...the letters seemed to be : SUOTTER but that doesn't make much sense.
                                 I see you have established that Jane Innes (George's wife) came from Macduff. I had always wondered if she had been related to the ELIZABETH INNES who married George Buchan, but she came from Newburgh.
                                 Anyhow, it's good to hear from you. I am pleased that I have been able to find George Simpson's grave for you.  Please keep in touch.
                                 And Wade, many thanks for your comments.

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 9, 2000
            For Elisabeth Wilson :

            Hi Elisabeth,
                                  I guess it is possible that what I read could have been Soutter (Another famour Peterhead Sea-faring name).
                                  But it was the way the gravestone saif "died at" which leads me to thinks that what followed was a place rather than another person.
                                  I really wish the headstone was in better shape. I'll have to try and look closer next time I'm in Peterhead.

                                  Best Regards.............................Alex Ritchie
          • Alex Ritchie
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 30, 2000
              For Malcolm Simpson

              Malcolm, I went back up to Peterhead this week and took a close look at the headstone. It actually says :

              George Simpson sometime master of the Traveller of Peterhead died at Stetten on September 11th.1848 in his 51st. year of his age and interred there.

              So, looks like he is buried at Stettin in the Baltic in spite of what the Peterhead burial records say. As you will probably know, the Baltic trade figured largely with Peterhead for many years so this is not really surprising.
              I wonder if the authorities in Stettin could locate a burial place or headstone commemorating this event ?

              Fascinating, isn't it ?              Kindest Regards.............Alex Ritchie

            • malcolm.simpson
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 31, 2000
                To Alex.Ritchie
                Hi Alex,
                            Thanks once more for your help.The "plot thickens" as they say.What on earth could he be doing in Stettin?He had been in the whaling trade all his life as far as I know and Poland or it was possibly German in those days hardly enter the picture.However, I shall now have to find out and shall keep you informed.
                        Referring back to William Walker of the "Oscar"; he was a "landsman" from Aberdeen, that is an inexperienced seaman.
                Best Wishes.Malcolm.
              • Alex Ritchie
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 2, 2000
                  For Malcolm Simpson & David Matthew

                  Hi Malcolm, the "Baltic Trade" was a VERY big element of Peterhead's sea trade for many years and Stettin is one of the biggest Baltic ports. So the fact that Stettin is involved is no surprise.
                  Could it be that George Simpson (and other whalers) took part in other trade during the "off" season for whaling ?
                  The one thing I'm certain is that it is Stettin (written Stetten) that's on the gravestone.

                  David, yes, Stettin is the German spelling. The Polish spelling is Szczecin. Is Kew likely to have records about seamen buried overseas at that period (1848) ? I thought that would have been unlikely.
                  The other possibility is getting in touch with the City Authorities in Stettin and seeing if they have a burial record but that might be a laborous process.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 21, 2000
                    For Malcolm Simpson :

                    Hi Malcolm,
                    I've been staying "Off the Air" recently because my machine got infected by the KAK Virus (or more correctly the KAK Worm) which comes via an e-mail (This one doesn't even need an attachment.....the straight e-mail message is the carrier). But now I believe I have successfully dis-infected my machine (and installed the software patch from Microsoft for OUTLOOK EXPRESS where the security loophole existed).

                    Ref. George Simpson. No, I didn't mean that he would have been "moonlighting" as a crew member. I meant that, presumably, the whaling "season" was only part of the year and that during the off-season they may have taken up contracts for other shipping work (e.g. in the Baltic trade). I don't know if that was done by the whaling ship owners and captains ?

                    Saw a reference you made to Wade regarding Merchant Street and the Simpsons. Didn't see you original question but, if it's of interest to you, I have the details of the Simpson family in the 1841 Census also at Merchant Street - popular residential area for the sea-faring community (I believe the Penny family lived there at one time).

                    Best Regards................................Alex Ritchie

                  • Wilson Family
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 24, 2000
                      At 07:09 21/09/2000 +0100, Alex Ritchie wrote:

                      > [snip] Merchant Street - popular residential area for the sea-faring
                      community.

                      "My" family the William Gordons also lived in 2 houses in Merchant Street -
                      over three generations for about 80 years. My great great grandfather
                      (William) was a seaman, also described as merchant in his lair record, and
                      believed to have been part owner of a ship. If anyone is interested I could
                      try scanning in a photo or two of Merchant Street taken last year, and
                      sending it as an attachment. Email me privately if you would like that.
                      It goes straight down from Field Marshal Keith's statue in the centre of
                      town to the harbour facing the bay - is this the inner harbour? - and
                      various stores and chandleries so you can see why it was popular.

                      By the way does anyone know who owned all these terraces? Was each house
                      individually owned by richer people like the merchants, or were they owned
                      by the town corporation or a local large landowner?

                      Elisabeth Wilson
                      South Hobart, Tasmania
                      researching GORDON, GIBB, YOUNG, PAUL, CRAIG, GROTE
                    • Alex Ritchie
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 24, 2000
                        For Elisabeth Wilson

                        Hello Elisabeth,
                        Yes, if you are standing at Marischal Keith's statue looking down Broad Street, Merchant Street would be down on your right (Police Station on the corner). The Episcopalian Church is on Merchant Street. Looking down Merchant Street you would really be looking on to the South Bay rather than the inner harbours (or, more recently, the new pier which has effectively created a larger south harbour).
                        The housing on Merchant Street would not have been publicly owned. I do know that several sea-faring families lived on Merchant Street (e.g. the Simpsons, the Pennys) and they would, presumably, be relatively wealthy shipmasters. Sometimes the ship-owners referred to themselves as merchants However, some street names around that area have associations with trade etc. (e.g. Jamaica Street). That's all part of the "Original" Peterhead which developed around the harbour(s).

                        Best Regards...................................................Alex Ritchie

                      • I Tilbury
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 4, 2000
                          Hi Alex
                          I thought i whould let you know the info below on Merchant Street was great
                          I wonder if my Kean Family went to that church . Also the last e mail i had
                          from you i forwarded it to Wade but have never heard back
                          Lynley

                          > Yes, if you are standing at Marischal Keith's
                          statue looking down Broad Street, Merchant Street would be down on your
                          right (Police Station on the corner). The Episcopalian Church is on Merchant
                          Street. Looking down Merchant Street you would really be looking on to the
                          South Bay rather than the inner harbours (or, more recently, the new pier
                          which has effectively created a larger south harbour).
                          > The housing on Merchant Street would not have
                          been publicly owned. I do know that several sea-faring families lived on
                          Merchant Street (e.g. the Simpsons, the Pennys) and they would, presumably,
                          be relatively wealthy shipmasters. Sometimes the ship-owners referred to
                          themselves as merchants However, some street names around that area have
                          associations with trade etc. (e.g. Jamaica Street). That's all part of the
                          "Original" Peterhead which developed around the harbour(s).

                          > Best
                          Regards...................................................Alex Ritchie

                        • Alex
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 23, 2010
                            Some time ago Malcolm (Simpson) and I speculated about a connection between George Simpson & Andrew Simpson. I wrote :

                            Keep in mind also Andrew Simpson who married Elizabeth Martin (sister of John Martin Jnr.) in 1828. When they married he was listed as a "seaman in North Shields" but their daughters were certainly born in Peterhead.They had two daughters, Jean Innes Simpson (b.1829) and Elizabeth Martin Simpson (b.1831).
                            Based upon the first daughter's name, Andrew Simpson would be related to George Simpson (perhaps a brother ?). Trouble is, I can't find any trace of this family after the 1831 birth. I have tried records in England & Australia without success.they must have gone somewhere !!

                            Subsequently I discovered that Andrew Simpson, Elizabeth Martin & family moved to, and lived in Tynemouth (English Census Records) the rest of their lives. If Andrew Simpson came from that area ( and it's only an "if"), then George Simpson himself may have actually come from North-East England.

                            I've always thought it curious that, on the family gravestone, George Simpson mentions his mother (Margaret Buchan) but makes no mention of his father.

                            Alex Ritchie
                          • David Britt
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 23, 2010
                              Thanks Alex.. I knew from past experience that you were the go-to-person for
                              Ship's Masters..  All the best... db

                              ________________________________
[...]

                            • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 23, 2010
                                Hi Alex,

                                So I decided to google Andrew Simpson and to my surprise I came across your article that you wrote for the Family History Society of Buchan Spring 2009 Newsletter - well done!

                                I have also found where there were many many XXXX Innes Simpson born through out the UK - so I dont think we can go by the name Innes as a connection to the same family.

                                But in saying that I did find this so far about Andrew.
                                Name: Andrew Simpson
                                Gender: Male
                                Baptism/Christening Date: 29 Jan 1792
                                Baptism/Christening Place: Christ Church, Tynemouth, Northumberland, England
                                Father's Name: Andrew Simpson
                                Mother's Name: Margaret
                                Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C02173-5
                                System Origin: England-EASy
                                Source Film Number: 1068907
                                Reference Number: item 4
                                Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

                                I wish they listed his mothers full name!! I wonder if it was Buchanan - I have not foudn a marriage for them as of yet.

                                Name: Jean Innes Simpson
                                Gender: Female
                                Baptism/Christening Date: 16 Aug 1829
                                Baptism/Christening Place: PETERHEAD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
                                Father's Name: Andrew Simpson
                                Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11232-5
                                System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                                Source Film Number: 993353
                                Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

                                Name: Margaret Innis Simpson
                                Gender: Female
                                Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Oct 1836
                                Baptism/Christening Place: CHRIST CHURCH, TYNEMOUTH, NORTHUMBERLAND, ENGLAND
                                Father's Name: Andrew Simpson
                                Mother's Name: Elizabeth
                                Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C15597-5
                                System Origin: England-ODM
                                Source Film Number: 1068908
                                Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

                                Cheers
                                Susan