Peterhead OPRs

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23 8:23 AM
      For Lynley Tilbury

      Hi There,
                        The records for the Old Parish Church are contained within the Peterhead OPRs (County : Aberdeen   Parish Number : 232). All the Peterhead Church of Scotland churches records are folded into the Peterhead OPRs. There are also some none-Presbyterian ones in there as well (e.g. Episcopalian, Free Church etc.) it depended on whether those folks felt like adding them to the Parish Records.........and how strongly they felt about having anything to do with Presbyterians !!
                        The Films should be readily available through you nearest LDS Family History Centre. Unfortunately, I don't live in Peterhead any more although I visit occasionally so I have to look at them either in Edinburgh or in the Aberdeen & N.E. FHS shop in Aberdeen when I go up there. I'm not sure when I am likely to be seeing the Peterhead OPRs next.
                        Where your ancestors lived in Peterhead would not necessarily be a good guide to which Church they attended. Family traditions would be a much stronger guide as to where they worshipped. I'm not even sure when the St.Andrews and West Associate churches were founded......but certainly well after the Old Parish Church (whose existing building was built in 1806)
                        As you probably know, the Constitution Street Cemetery has no connection with any specific Church. It is a Town Cemetery rather than a "Kirkyard".
                        If I do get a chance to access the Peterhead OPRs in the near future I will certainly take a look for your ancestors but I can't guarantee anything right now.

                        Kindest Regards.............................Alex Ritchie