Peterhead Churches

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 20, 2000
      For : Lynley Tilbury

      Hello Lynley,
                              Ref. your question about the Church of Scotland in Peterhead.
                              The "Parish" Church is the one called (surprisingly !) the OLD PARISH CHURCH or the "Muckle Kirk" to those of us from Peterhead. This is a Church of Scotland Presbyterian Church.
                              There are other Church of Scotland Churches in the town :

      1) St.Andrews Church (On the corner of Queen Street & King Street)
      2) West Associate Church (not sure if it has still retained that title) on St.Peter's Street.

                               But, as I said above, the OLD PARISH CHURCH would be the one you are interested in.

                               Best Regards......................Alex Ritchie
    • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2000
        William Diverall b.1831 in Peterhead was inlater life a Methodist Lay
        Preacher in Peterhead. Which/where is or was the Methodist church in
        Peterhead? I have written to Methodist headquaters in England but they
        don't have records of lay preachers. Betty.
      • Alex Ritchie
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 12, 2000
          For Lynley Tilbury

          Hi Lynley,
          Ref. your question about two Peterhead Churches.
          The one in the Backgate would be the South Church. It's on the corner of Backgate and Chapel Street. It was originally the United Free South Church. It now no longer functions as a Church of Scotland. THe building is used by an
          Evangelical Church.
          Can't think of any Church at Crooked Lane, at least not in my (or my mother's) time - that stretches back nearly 80 years !! Maybe there was one a VERY long time ago.

          Kindest Regards..............................................Alex Ritchie

        • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 12, 2000
            Alex, I don't know if I ever thanked you for the information you gave me
            some months age re the Peterhead Methodist Church. I contacted the
            Minister who was most helpful and took to the Aberdeen County Archives
            in Aberdeen, some 'bags of old books lying in the manse'. These were old
            minute books of the church from the 1830s to 1950s. The County Archivist
            did find a mention or William Diverall in 1881.[Confirming his position
            as a Methodist lay preacher on the 1881 census] However they pointed out
            that minute books don't usually contain personal information. Betty.
          • Ian and Lyn Tilbury
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 12, 2000
              .>FOR ALEX RITCHIE
              > Hi Alex
              Thanks so much for your reply , this was one of the things i have been
              trying to find out about for sometime
              Peterhead Marriage
              No 53, 13/10/1863 at Backgate , Church of Scotland , Joseph Kean ship
              carpenter, bach, age 23
              Errol Street, parents Robert Kean carter [dead] and Helen Kean ms Scott
              married Ann J. Leslie
              spin, aged 27 Backgate, parents, Alexander Leslie, cooper [dead] and Mary
              Leslie ms Leask
              Witnesses William Leslie and John H Leslie

              So yes well before you time this was 1863 this looks like it was the Leslie
              church with them in the area living
              I wonder when it open and when it closed as a church of scotland if you can
              find out that whould be great
              Now Robert Kean married Christian Yule on the 22 of August 1859 at Crooked
              Lane Church
              That gives you some idea of when there was one in Crooked Lane you may me
              able to find about it now
              Hope you are all well
              Regards Lynley

              > Ref. your question about two Peterhead Churches.
              > The one in the Backgate would be the South Church.
              It's on the corner of Backgate and Chapel Street. It was originally the
              United Free South Church. It now no longer functions as a Church of
              Scotland. THe building is used by an
              > Evangelical Church.
              > Can't think of any Church at Crooked Lane, at least
              not in my (or my mother's) time - that stretches back nearly 80 years !!
              Maybe there was one a VERY long time ago.

              > Kindest