Re: [Peterhead] Re: Re ST PETERS CHURCH

  • Lynley Tilbury
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5 2:59 AM
      --- In Peterhead@egroups.com, Sam Daniel <samdaniel@d...> wrote:
      > The church in the old churchyard on the South Road of Peterhead was
      > dismantled and rebuilt stone for stone in Kirk Street. The date
      given
      > for this was 25th May 1804. This church is known as the Old Parish
      > Church and locally as the "Aul Kerk" or Auld Kirk. There are other
      > churches including Roman Catholic, Mormon, Brethren, English Chapel,
      > Episcopal, and many, many more today. When these were established
      am
      > unsure.
      >
      > Sam
      >HI SAM, IS THE AULD CHURCH THE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND PARISH CHURCH OF
      PETERHEAD
      REGARDS LYNLEY TILBURY

      > Dear Wade,
      >
      > Alex Ritchie wrote that the only graveyard near a Kirk is he old
      > kirkyard near the ruins of sty peters church . which the first
      > of my Kean Family are buried there there is a grave which was
      erected by

      > Adam keen , Robert Kean was his father , and Robert Kean is my great
      > great grand father and whould love to know please more about that
      old
      > church and if its likely that its the family church for the people
      > buried in grave yard.
      >
      > St.Peter's Church was built 1500's and was in use until 1770, when
      > the new "Muckle Kirk" was built. It has been Roman Catholic,
      > Episcopalian & Presbyterian. The Old Kirkyard Cemetery was
      probably
      the
      > first Cemetery in Peterhead, the Cemetery does not have sections for
      > different religions and as far as I know, there was only one
      Cemetery at
      > that time until it became full.
      >
      > I have ancestors that were Episcopalian that are buried in the Old
      > Kirkyard. So, I can not tell you if St.Peter's Church was your
      > ancestors family church or if they went to another.
      >
      > I found a record for one of my ancestors in Lonmay, for rental of a
      > pew in the Church, this is one way to know which church they
      attended,
      > but I haven't found any records like this for Peterhead (as I don't
      have
      > access to the Kirk Session Records).
      >
      > Regards, Wade.
      >

      > HI WADE
      > Hows things with you im sorry i take so long to reply I clean
      > forgot . thats what happens when you are reseaching more than one
      > family at the same time .
      > I found what you had to say about the church very interesting
      > but im still trying to work out which church is theres but it is in
      > the Parish of Peterhead may peterhead parish if thats its name
      > or do you know if thats what its called and what street its in
      > at the time ann Kean was married or just after they were living in
      > Erroll Street
      > NOW THE OTHER THING I WHOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT IS
      > Is there any photos of Erroll Street in 1863 and is there any
      photos
      > of the people that lived in that area at that time may be some of
      the
      > KEAN FAMILY
      >

      > REGARDS LYNLEY TILBURY
      >
      > --
      > Sam Daniel
    • Wilson Family
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9 1:20 AM
        At 06:32 31/03/2000 +0100, Sam wrote:
        >There are other churches including Roman Catholic, Mormon, Brethren,
        English >Chapel, Episcopal, and many, many more today. When these were
        established I am unsure.

        I think the Brethren meeting was established by the 1870s - probably
        originally as a gospel mission and later linking with associated
        fellowships. Many of these in the north east of Scotland grew out of the
        1859-60 "Revival" and the impetus for their formation was through
        evangelists such as Donald Ross. I can probably put my hand on more exact
        information about the Brethren if anyone wants it. I don't think there
        would be a separate graveyard or even church records, because of the
        informality of the organisation (as distinct from the rigidity of their
        practices at times!).

        Elisabeth Wilson
        researching GORDON GIBB YOUNG GROTE SPENCE CRAIG
      • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9 6:41 AM
          Wilson Family wrote:

          > At 06:32 31/03/2000 +0100, Sam wrote:
          > >There are other churches including Roman Catholic, Mormon, Brethren,
          > English >Chapel, Episcopal, and many, many more today. When these were
          > established I am unsure.
          >
          > I think the Brethren meeting was established by the 1870s - probably
          > originally as a gospel mission and later linking with associated
          > fellowships. Many of these in the north east of Scotland grew out of the
          > 1859-60 "Revival" and the impetus for their formation was through
          > evangelists such as Donald Ross. I can probably put my hand on more exact
          > information about the Brethren if anyone wants it. I don't think there
          > would be a separate graveyard or even church records, because of the
          > informality of the organisation (as distinct from the rigidity of their
          > practices at times!).
          >
          > Elisabeth Wilson
          > researching GORDON GIBB YOUNG GROTE SPENCE CRAIG

          > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
          > 1. Fill in the brief application
          > Apply NOW!

          I was brought up in the Brethren Assemblies in England. I was in the
          'Open' Assemblies. Those in Peterhead were generally regarded as being
          very 'strict' [narrow minded was the term used],or known as the 'Closed
          Brethren' I have a book which was my Grandfathers, called 'Chief Men
          Among the Brethren'. 2nd edition 1931. The 1st was in 1908 and I believe
          there has been a 3rd. The edition I have has 100 biographies in it with
          photographs-including one of Donald Ross. Betty.