Re: [Peterhead] Collie/ Buchan Family Tree

  • Bruce Milne
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 23, 2000
      My grandfather was a James Buchan and, unfortunately a Brethern, who had (
      as far as I know) nine children including my mother, Jessie,and including
      her brothers James and David ( known as Dakie). There are, to the best of
      my understanding, a number of progeny still living in Peterhead. Ring a
      bell?
    • Wilson Family
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 24, 2000
        At 08:25 23/03/2000 -0500, you wrote:
        >From: Bruce Milne <brucemil@...>
        >
        >My grandfather was a James Buchan and, unfortunately a Brethern, ...

        Dear Bruce,

        I am interested to know why you say "unfortunately" a Brethren (not
        Brethern) - unless you mean Exclusive Brethren, who would not give you any
        info. I have a contact in the current "Open" Brethren meeting there,
        though they are not on email. If you would like me to ask them any
        specific questions, or see if any descendants of interest are still in that
        fellowship, let me know.

        Elisabeth Wilson
        <wilsontrek@...>
        Hobart, Tasmania
        Researching GORDON, YOUNG, GIBB, DAVIDSON, PAUL
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 24, 2000
          Hi Colin,

          colin collie wrote:

           side,I have got back to my great grandfather who was Alexander Collie who was married to a Martha Robb I have dates of Birth & Marriage but no
          I didn't find your Alexander Collie in the 1851 census, but I did find Martha Robb.

          1851 Peterhead Census
          District 16, page 11, No.32, Grange
          William Robb, head, 42, Peterhead
          Isabella Robb, wife, 47, Crimond
          William Robb, son, 13, Peterhead
          Martha Robb, daughter, 12, Peterhead
          John Robb, son, 10, Peterhead
          James M. Robb, son, 7, Peterhead
          George Robb, son, 4, Peterhead
          Mary Robb, daughter, 2, Peterhead

          page 15, omission
          George Smith, brother-in-law, Cruden

          Peterhead Deaths
          Part 2, No.24, William Robb, farmer, married, 26/12/1857 0h 5m am at St.Catherine's, male, 55 years, parents: John Robb, gardener (deceased) and Elizabeth Robb ms Fraser (deceased), cause: Ossification of the valves of the heart, had for the years, informant: William Robb, son, present.

          I have another 4 deaths with parents John Robb and Elizabeth Fraser, are you interested?

          No.47, John Robb, farm servant, single, 10/5/1862 at 7h pm Collielaw, male, 22 years, parents: William Robb, farmer (dead) and Isabella Robb ms Smith, cause: Inflammation of the windpipe, had for 2 days, William Robb, not present, Monyray?, Longside.

          I didn't transcribe the occupation when indexing.

          James Buchan and he was married to Mary Forman or foreman, my grandmother
          was Jane and she was born in 1876 and she married Robert Collie son of
          Alexander & Martha Collie.
          I didn't find anything in my records on your James Buchan and Mary Forman.  Can I ask how you got the maiden name of Mary Forman?  Was it from Jane's birth or marriage certificate?

          The reason I ask is that I looked at the 1881 Census Index and found only one Jane born 1876 Peterhead with parents James and Mary. But having look at the IGI, I found that children Christian, Betst, James parents were James Buchan and Mary Buchan.

          Dwelling: 7 Harbour St
           Census Place: Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
           Source: FHL Film 0203464     GRO Ref    Volume 232-1    EnumDist 10    Page 20
           Marr Age Sex Birthplace
          James BUCHAN M 40  M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
           Rel: Head
           Occ: Fisherman
          Mary BUCHAN M 39  F Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
           Rel: Wife
          Christian BUCHAN   15  F Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
           Rel: Daur
           Occ: (Fishwife) (Gen Serv)
          Betsy BUCHAN   13  F Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
           Rel: Daur
           Occ: Scholar
          James BUCHAN   7  M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
           Rel: Son
           Occ: Scholar
          Jane BUCHAN   5  F Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
           Rel: Daur
          Andrew BUCHAN   3  M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
           Rel: Son
          Barbara BUCHAN   9 m F Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
           Rel: Daur

          Regards, Wade.

        • Bruce Milne
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 25, 2000
            Dear Elisabeth,
            I made a mistake with Brethern as I am fully aware it's Brethren,
            my apologies. I say unfortunately because my grandfather was a member of
            what was then known, and perhaps still is, as the Closed Brethren and as
            far as I can detrermine they weren't the nicest folks to do business. I
            cxan recall my aunt Barbara, his daughter, tellin how as a young girl she
            was forced to stand out in the streets selling fish until her hands froze.
            There were other stories about the devout dogmatism and elitist
            exclusivity that makes me want to put distance between us.
            As far as I know the offspring of my uncle David called Dakie) and
            Jim, his younger brother , still live in Peterhead. Two of the daughters,
            my mother Jessie and her much younger sister, Barbara immigrated to the
            States.
            If you have any info it would be truly appreciated.

            Bruce