Collie/ Buchan Family Tree

  • colin collie
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2000
      from Colin R.H. Collie
      Email crhc43@...
      22/03/2000

      As I told you I am trying to trace back my Family tree. The Collie
      side,I have got back to my great grandfather who was Alexander Collie who
      was married to a Martha Robb I have dates of Birth & Marriage but no dates
      of death ,I know they were still alive at the 1891 census,Their address at
      that time was 25 Windmill Street there was 5 Sons and three daughters in the
      family. The spelling was different it was Colley but I have been told this
      is quie common.
      The Buchan side I have names but that is all My great grandfather was
      James Buchan and he was married to Mary Forman or foreman, my grandmother
      was Jane and she was born in 1876 and she married Robert Collie son of
      Alexander & Martha Collie. James Buchan had a nickname it was Bogie and as
      far as I know they either Salvationists or Brethern. Any other information I
      can give you just let me know. I wondered if they have a list of the lairs
      in the cemetry not the old on at the links but the one that was round by the
      Seagull Laundry.

      All the best

      Colin
    • colin collie

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2000
          My grandfather was a James Buchan and, unfortunately a Brethern, who had (
          as far as I know) nine children including my mother, Jessie,and including
          her brothers James and David ( known as Dakie). There are, to the best of
          my understanding, a number of progeny still living in Peterhead. Ring a
          bell?
        • Wilson Family
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 24, 2000
            At 08:25 23/03/2000 -0500, you wrote:
            >From: Bruce Milne <brucemil@...>
            >
            >My grandfather was a James Buchan and, unfortunately a Brethern, ...

            Dear Bruce,

            I am interested to know why you say "unfortunately" a Brethren (not
            Brethern) - unless you mean Exclusive Brethren, who would not give you any
            info. I have a contact in the current "Open" Brethren meeting there,
            though they are not on email. If you would like me to ask them any
            specific questions, or see if any descendants of interest are still in that
            fellowship, let me know.

            Elisabeth Wilson
            <wilsontrek@...>
            Hobart, Tasmania
            Researching GORDON, YOUNG, GIBB, DAVIDSON, PAUL
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 24, 2000
              Hi Colin,

              colin collie wrote:

               side,I have got back to my great grandfather who was Alexander Collie who was married to a Martha Robb I have dates of Birth & Marriage but no
              I didn't find your Alexander Collie in the 1851 census, but I did find Martha Robb.

              1851 Peterhead Census
              District 16, page 11, No.32, Grange
              William Robb, head, 42, Peterhead
              Isabella Robb, wife, 47, Crimond
              William Robb, son, 13, Peterhead
              Martha Robb, daughter, 12, Peterhead
              John Robb, son, 10, Peterhead
              James M. Robb, son, 7, Peterhead
              George Robb, son, 4, Peterhead
              Mary Robb, daughter, 2, Peterhead

              page 15, omission
              George Smith, brother-in-law, Cruden

              Peterhead Deaths
              Part 2, No.24, William Robb, farmer, married, 26/12/1857 0h 5m am at St.Catherine's, male, 55 years, parents: John Robb, gardener (deceased) and Elizabeth Robb ms Fraser (deceased), cause: Ossification of the valves of the heart, had for the years, informant: William Robb, son, present.

              I have another 4 deaths with parents John Robb and Elizabeth Fraser, are you interested?

              No.47, John Robb, farm servant, single, 10/5/1862 at 7h pm Collielaw, male, 22 years, parents: William Robb, farmer (dead) and Isabella Robb ms Smith, cause: Inflammation of the windpipe, had for 2 days, William Robb, not present, Monyray?, Longside.

              I didn't transcribe the occupation when indexing.

              James Buchan and he was married to Mary Forman or foreman, my grandmother
              was Jane and she was born in 1876 and she married Robert Collie son of
              Alexander & Martha Collie.
              I didn't find anything in my records on your James Buchan and Mary Forman.  Can I ask how you got the maiden name of Mary Forman?  Was it from Jane's birth or marriage certificate?

              The reason I ask is that I looked at the 1881 Census Index and found only one Jane born 1876 Peterhead with parents James and Mary. But having look at the IGI, I found that children Christian, Betst, James parents were James Buchan and Mary Buchan.

              Dwelling: 7 Harbour St
               Census Place: Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
               Source: FHL Film 0203464     GRO Ref    Volume 232-1    EnumDist 10    Page 20
               Marr Age Sex Birthplace
              James BUCHAN M 40  M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
               Rel: Head
               Occ: Fisherman
              Mary BUCHAN M 39  F Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
               Rel: Wife
              Christian BUCHAN   15  F Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
               Rel: Daur
               Occ: (Fishwife) (Gen Serv)
              Betsy BUCHAN   13  F Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
               Rel: Daur
               Occ: Scholar
              James BUCHAN   7  M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
               Rel: Son
               Occ: Scholar
              Jane BUCHAN   5  F Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
               Rel: Daur
              Andrew BUCHAN   3  M Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
               Rel: Son
              Barbara BUCHAN   9 m F Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
               Rel: Daur

              Regards, Wade.

            • Bruce Milne
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 25, 2000
                Dear Elisabeth,
                I made a mistake with Brethern as I am fully aware it's Brethren,
                my apologies. I say unfortunately because my grandfather was a member of
                what was then known, and perhaps still is, as the Closed Brethren and as
                far as I can detrermine they weren't the nicest folks to do business. I
                cxan recall my aunt Barbara, his daughter, tellin how as a young girl she
                was forced to stand out in the streets selling fish until her hands froze.
                There were other stories about the devout dogmatism and elitist
                exclusivity that makes me want to put distance between us.
                As far as I know the offspring of my uncle David called Dakie) and
                Jim, his younger brother , still live in Peterhead. Two of the daughters,
                my mother Jessie and her much younger sister, Barbara immigrated to the
                States.
                If you have any info it would be truly appreciated.

                Bruce