Re: [Peterhead] Whalingship Agreements

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2000
      Hi Malcolm,

      Malcolm Simpson wrote:

                  I see your message to Judy Hand contains information on Crew Agreements.How can I obtain this sort of information or can I just ask you? What years do you cover?Apart from the whalers have you any crew information on a small powered schooner called"Isabel" which left Greenhithe early July 1852 to search for Sir John Franklin.It would appear it picked up additional crew members in Peterhead on the 10th.July 1852.Can you help.
      The best source of information about these records is from the book "My Ancestor was a Merchant Seaman" by Christopher & Michael Watts (they have a new book, not sure of title).  Some of the records have been filmed by the LDS and can be found in the locality catalogue under Great Britain, Merchant Marine.

      They have filmed Crew Agreements and Register of Seamen.  Yes the crew agreements would cover "Isabel", you would need to order the crew agreement for the port the ship left and year.

      Whaling ships usually picked up extra crew from the Shetlands and these are all covered on the Peterhead Crew Agreements.

      Regards, Wade.

    • Malcolm Simpson
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2000
        Hi Wade,
                    Thanks for your quick response and helpful information.I shall be following up on your advice.
                    Malcolm Simpson.