Smith-Matthew

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2000
      To : Janet Lambe

      Hi Janet, my apologies for the delay in getting back to you.
      Your question in interesting.

      My THOMAS SMITH was born in 1808 and died in January 1849 (Peterhead Burial Records). He married ELIZA MATTHEW on January 13th.1824. ELIZA'S parents were ALEXANDER MATTHEW & JANET SMITH. ELIZA was born in 1803 and died on September 30th.1876.
      All I know about THOMAS SMITH'S parents was that his mother was ISABELLA SMITH (and I think that her maiden name was WILSON but I have not been able to confirm that yet). I have no record or clue as to THOMAS SMITH'S father........So far.

      Now, the interesting thing about your note is that I know of a THOMAS SMITH whose parents were JOHN SMITH & CHRISTIAN GROTT or PROTT ?). But, the puzzle is that this THOMAS SMITH married a MARY CARDNO. This THOMAS SMITH died on April 1st.1873 aboard the whaler "Polar Star". MARY CARDNO died on August 26th.1881 (Peterhead Death Certificate : District 232 Entry 120).

      Are we chasing two different THOMAS SMITHs ??
      Does any of my information (above) ring any bells with you ?

      Kindest Regards........................................Alex Ritchie