The Legacy

  • JDVon@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 1999
      I saw this poem and for those who have not read it, it makes all the work
      that we do, for genealogy, worth it. It has really touched my heart and I
      hope it will touch yours.
      DeLories
      Lynnwood, Washington

      The Legacy

      Voices of a distant time
      Speak softly thru the years
      Carried on winds of ages past
      Whispering gently in our ears.

      Seeking to be remembered
      Rather than forgotten as though never here,
      Reaching out to their children's children...
      "Do they listen? Will they hear?"

      From far off lands and distant seas
      With courage and fear interlaced,
      They sought a new future for their children,
      But unsure of the future they faced.

      They arrived at port as families,
      As well as lone woman or man.
      Even a child or infant would travel
      To the promise of that other land.

      Hazards of travel, whether land or sea
      Would claim both young and old.
      This new land would hold a price for some,
      But undaunted, forward they'd go.

      Far from what they once called home
      They embraced this new found land.
      Though their hearts recalled it, they'd still proudly
      Proclaim it : "I'm an American."

      Though many to America were penniless
      With nought but their Bible to hold,
      They knew therein lie a treasure:
      Joys and sorrows, recorded and told.

      Each name seems to say: "Don't forget me;
      please remember those things we endured."
      "We risked it all; life, home, love and family,
      so your future would be secured."

      by Rebecca Watson Walker