Davidson Family

  • tonyd@xxxxxxxxxx.xx.xx
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 1999
      I am researching my family history,so far I have established :-
      My grandfather Alexander Davidson was born 5/1/1889 (died17/4/1999) @ 29 Port Henry Road , he had a younger brother Benjamin (b.3/9/94)who died in Lerwick,he also had two elder brothers James and William (who I know lived and die in Peterhead)Ihave no other details of James or what happened to him.
      My great grandfather was also called Alexander(b.26/2/1856,died 11/11/26),he married MargaretRobertson Mackie 20/7/1879 in Peterhead and his parents were given as William Davidson(deceased)seaman-merchant service & Jane Davidson m.sNoble,his wifes parents were given as Alexander Mackie (deceased)fisherman & Ann Mackie m.sTaylor address 70 Roanheads,Alexanders address was given as 4 Crooked lane.
      I have since discovered my g/grandfather was illegitimate and he was born Alexander davidson Noble @ 11 Albion Street , his mother given as Jean Noble,I can find no other entry for his father William except that recorded on Alexanders marriage certificate.
      I have looked up the 1861 census records and found at entry No 80 for 30/2 longate Street the following extract :-
      Jane davidson,boarding house keeper,head of household,widow,aged44,born Strichen
      Elizabeth Petrie,domestic servant,daughter,unmarried,aged17,born Peterhead
      Alexander Davidson,son,aged 5,born Peterhead
    • tonyd@xxxxxxxxxx.xx.xx
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 1999
          Hi Tony,

          > My great grandfather was also called Alexander(b.26/2/1856,died 11/11/26),he married MargaretRobertson Mackie 20/7/1879 in Peterhead and his parents were given as William Davidson(deceased)seaman-merchant service & Jane Davidson m.sNoble,his wifes parents were given as Alexander Mackie (deceased)fisherman & Ann Mackie m.sTaylor address 70 Roanheads,Alexanders address was given as 4 Crooked lane.

          I haven't found anything on your Davidsons yet. I have found some information on you Mackie/Taylor branch.

          Alexander Mackie b. 1812c d. 20/6/1868 Peterhead parents Alexander Mackie and Elizabeth Hutchison
          married to
          Ann Taylor b. 1822c Cruden
          children
          Alexander b.1850c d.20/8/1868 Peterhead
          Robert b.1853c d. 18/11/1864 Peterhead
          Margaret b.1857c Peterhead
          Jean b.1858c d.11/2/1858 Peterhead
          David b.1860c Peterhead
          Robert b.1864c Peterhead
          Sarah b.1865c Peterhead

          Peterhead Deaths
          No.132, Robert Mackie, single, 18/11/1858 2h 30m pm at 34 Roneheads, male, 5 years, parents: Alexander Mackie seaman and Ann Mackie ms Taylor, cause: Marasmus probably a few months, buried Churchyard of Peterhead, informant: Ann Mackie, her X mark, mother, present.

          No.32, Jean Mackie, single, 11/2/1864 2h pm at Roneheads, female, 19 hours, parents: Alexander Mackie fisherman and Ann Mackie ms Taylor, cause: small-pox no medical attendant, informant: Alexander Mackie, his x mark, father (present).

          No.88, Alexander Mackie, seaman married to Ann Taylor, 20/6/1868 about 11h am about 1/2 mile off South-head, male, 56 years, parents: Alexander Mackie seaman (dead) and Elizabeth Mackie ms Hutchison (dead), cause: Drowning body not recovered, informant: Ann Mackie, her X mark, widow, not present, Roneheads.

          No.89, Alexander Mackie, seaman, single, 20/6/1868 about 11h am about 1/2 mile off South-head, male, 18 years, Alexander Mackie, seaman (dead) and Ann Mackie ms Taylor, cause: Drowning body not recovered, informant: Ann Mackie, her X mark, mother, not present, Roneheads.

          Also drowned that day were James Thain age 12, James Stewart age 56, and Alexander Strachan age 14. You should be able to get a newspaper report about this accident. I can not think of the contact address, it is the Library for Aberdeenshire in Old Meldrum or if you are a member of Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS they might be able to do a search of the local newspaper (Buchan Observer). If you do get a newspaper article on the accident, than I would appreciate a copy.

          Hope this helps.