Carnegie Hero

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 1999
      From: "BARRON, Debbie (WG)" <debbie.barron@...>

      I am currently researching my family in Peterhead. I am trying to find
      out any information about my family & the lifeboat disaster.

      So far I have discovered that my great grandfather was David Murray
      Strachan, he was drown in the Tom Tit disaster on the 26th December 1914
      & he died at 32 years old.
      The lifeboat they were in was the Alexander Tulloch. 2 other men died
      that day.
      David Strachan received the Carnegie Hero Award & the Carnegie fund sent
      money weekly to David's remaining dependants.

      His was Mary Anne Taylor, they had 3 children I think but the two I know
      of are Barbara Strachan & Donald Strachan. they lived at 71 Roanheads &
      I understand that Donald Strachan still lives there today. Mary Anne
      Taylor's mothers name was Mary Anne Strachan who married Robert Taylor,
      Robert Taylor was a harbour master & also a pilot at the harbour.

      Mary Anne Strachan's mother was Betsy Buchan who married Robert Strachan,
      he was a 1st Coxswain on the lifeboats & he also owned his own boat
      called the windward.

      Many thanks

      Debbie