Volum Name

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 1999
      For Joyce Piper :

      Hi Joyce, I don't know where the name VOLUM originated. It certainly is not a name common to North-East Scotland.
      However, there certainly had been Volums in Peterhead for several centuries. I have notes of Volum births etc. going back to the 1600s (From OPR indexes)
      A James Volum is listed in "Jacobites of North-East Scotland 1745" by Frances McDonnell. It states :
      "Volum, James Surgeon. Son of William Volum (Sailor) who lived in Harbour Street, Peterhead and his wife Ann Strachan. He escaped abroad after Culloden. On his return he married Mary Hay. Died at Peterhead in 1786."

      Also :
      "Volum, THomas. Surgeon to the Countess of Erroll, Bowness, Cruden. Brother to James Volum above. He is assumed to have been killed or died during the campaign."

      As far as I know there have been no Volums in Peterhead in recent years. Maybe they all emigrated to Australia ?
      Hope this might be of some interest..............Alex Ritchie
    • Joyce Piper
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 1999
        Hi Alex
        Many apologies if I have not thanked you for the information on the name Volum - it has always intrigued my mother and I.
        Thanks again
        Joyce